Wednesday, December 31, 2008

2008 Retrospective from Powell River Books

2008 was a great year for Wayne, me, and Powell River Books. Here are a few exciting moments:

January - Two of Wayne's books (Up the Lake and Up the Strait) are released in Kindle format. After the holidays in the States, we returned to our beloved float cabin on Powell Lake.

February - After almost a two year wait, Wayne and I received our Canadian permanent residency. Back at the cabin, I learned to bake bread inside my woodstove.

March - Up the Airway is launched at Cole's bookstore. Low water levels on Powell Lake expose "treasures" from early 20th Century logging cabins and camps. Powell River Books joins YouTube with several videos.

April - Bumblebees make a home in daffodils in my newly planted garden and Wayne and I go to Comox to see the Canadian Forces Snowbirds Demonstration Flight Team put on their annual free show.

May - Our airplane 997 takes us on a flight to the San Juan Islands. Back at the cabin, spring birds include Crossbills, Swallows and Canada Geese and we join the ATV Club for the annual Nanton ride.

June - My floating garden produces lots of vegetables and Mr. Float Cabin heads "up the lake" on a book tour. Back in Bellingham, I meet Betty, my blog's most faithful reader, in real life.

July - Our cabin gets a boost from twenty blue barrels. Book signings take us to the Texada Airport Fly-in, Sea Fair and a book launch for Farther Up the Lake at Breakwater Books. For fun, we join the ATV club on a Poker Ride.

August - Slide show tours take us to Gibsons, Sechelt, Powell River Library, Bellingham Museum of Flight, Chilliwack Air Show and Blackberry Festival. Halcyon Days takes us on a cruise to meet Dave and Marg at the lodge.

September - I pick and store onions, potatoes and tomatoes. Our float cabin is highlighted in an article in Our Canada magazine and Wayne gets a flood of e-mail.

October - Fall colours make Powell Lake beautiful and I invent Margy's Mouse Mechanism to keep little critters off the float. Wayne and I set up a booth again at the Powell River Newcomer Social.

November - Our float cabin is showcased on Tiny House Blog. PRB is honoured at the Horizon Business Awards and Wayne is nominated as an entrepreneur of the year. Best of all, we get lots of time at the cabin.

December - Snow, snow and more snow - and lots of really cold weather. We get a new chimney cap and use our wood stove almost 24/7. The PRB blog had a great year with over 21,750 visitors.

It's been a great year and I've had fun sharing it with you. Wayne and I wish you and your family a happy new year. May it bring you peace, love and contentment. -- Margy

5 comments:

  1. Margy,

    Thanks for your comments on my blog about the architectural details in old buildings - I'm looking forward to hearing about Powell River's downtown in the future.

    Your yearend wrap-up is a great idea and very interesting - your floating garden is awesome!

    Happy New Year!
    Elaine

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous10:12 AM

    Happy New Year to you and Wayne.
    I hope 2009 will be as good for you as this last year was. You did alot of interesting things.Love your summery of 2008 I am glad I was part of it.
    Thank you your friend Betty

    ReplyDelete
  3. You have had a very full year....gosh what a life you and your hubby lead....one many of us could only dream about living....ah someday may....I think it's been a year since I first found your blog....I have always been amazed at all the things you and your husband have done and continue to do....you both epitimize what truly living each day really means....getting out there seeing what life has to offer...new experiences all the time....for now I will continue to live vicariously through the two of you....

    Happy New Years to you both....

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great 2008 you have had! So glad you are receiving recognition and look forward to your 2009 posts! Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous8:45 PM

    Wow, such a wonderfully productive year. Its such a small world that you come to visit your mom in Bellingham. I grew up here, but come and go quite often. We might be here for a little bit, so I might get to see you around one of these days. Your little cabin does look beautiful!

    ReplyDelete

We welcome your comments and questions. - Wayne and Margy