Wednesday, March 26, 2008

My "Junk" Collection

It's amazing how much "junk" you can find out in the bush around Powell River in Coastal BC. As they say, one person's junk is another's treasure.

Our friend John was hiking when he spied a dilapidated fence which led him to an old shake blocker's cabin. The walls were gone, but the trusty wood stove looked like it was ready to get back to work.

Many logging operations left equipment behind when all the trees were harvested. Here's a winch that was used to move heavy logs down the mountain slopes.

Early logging took lots of manpower and many Chinese and Japanese immigrants were part of workforce. Here are some fragments found in a logging camp dump.

Thanks for looking through my junk (treasure) collection. -- Margy

11 comments:

  1. My wife said I should take a picture of my garage if I had wanted to post junk.
    Great post.
    http://outhousecapitalofcanada.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice treasures with a fine patina. ;)
    Have a nice day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Junk was a very good choice for the ABC`s.

    ReplyDelete
  4. An interesting and highly relevant post. Some people think they have the right to dump whatever they like wherever they want. I found this on one of my strolls and posted it on my Norwegian blog. The title means "But is it art?"

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am with Outhouse....could've done a picture of our garage as well....this is a very good choice!

    ReplyDelete
  6. WOW and the stove says Mona, have you had time to research any of the history?
    Really fascinating…

    Plate with Mount Fuji as well WOW

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the first two. Those are great finds. The last picture....yeah, I would call that JUNK. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you to everyone for visiting my blog to see "J is for Junk."

    For DeeMom, I did a web search on Mona wood stoves and didn't come up with much. There is a fireplace company named Mona located in Mona, Utah, but they don't have a website that I can find. I'm going to keep looking and something might come up. - Margy

    ReplyDelete
  9. Anonymous10:08 AM

    Love your junk. Along time ago we had something like the wench in your picture. It was called a donkey and it pulled logs too.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks for stopping by an commenting Margy. I like your Junk - makes you wonder about who lived there and what they did doesn't it?

    I've also done an Earth Hour post today, so snap! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Betty -

    We have donkeys scattered through the bush as well. There are two not far from our cabin. They were steam powered and used mostly around the turn of the century. The steam boiler made them quite large. You have had an amazing life. - Margy

    ReplyDelete

We welcome your comments and questions. - Wayne and Margy