Tuesday, April 08, 2014

Spring Remodeling: Loft Bedroom

In addition to downstairs, John worked in our loft bedroom. I've always thought cabins with pine paneling look so homey.

When we went shopping (yes, John let me go with him), I didn't like the cottage grade. There were so many knots, breaks, and blemishes. I opted to pay more for the next higher grade, and I'm so glad I did. It has just enough variation to make it interesting.


The 8-foot tongue and groove strips made installation relatively simple (that's easy for me to say). John cut each strip perfectly, and used a nail gun followed by wood filler to hide the evidence. He applied two coats of clear Varathane to seal it against any future water leaks. It also brought out the wood grain and gave it a nice luster.

It's important to be weight conscious living in a float cabin. The lightness of the pine boards made it a good choice.

I originally wanted a vertical installation, but John convinced me otherwise.  One, it made my wood frame cabin look more like a log cabin (at least on the inside). Two, it could be installed over our existing paper-coated paneling, giving us more insulation and less construction mess.  Thanks John, you helped me make the right decision as usual. -- Margy

4 comments:

  1. Ditto on looking good!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous12:56 AM

    It looks good!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I didn't realize you had a loft! All your remodeling looks fantastic, it must feel like a brand new place with all the work you've done recently! Congrats on a beautiful result:)

    ReplyDelete

We welcome your comments and questions. - Wayne and Margy