Friday, April 04, 2014

Planting Marigolds with Saved Seeds.

Last fall I let the last of my Marigold flowers go to seed on the plants.  Once they were brown and withered, I pinched the dried seed heads off and left them on a cookie sheet to dry out completely.

I stored them in a saved blueberry container.


Last week after I worked up my soil, I pushed the seed heads into the soil to see if they would sprout.

I tried it last summer to fill in a few empty spots and was pleased with the results. Hopefully it will turn out as well this spring.

But if Bill C-18 passes here in Canada, our rights to save and plant seeds might be hindered. For more information, head on over to Susan's blog As Long As You Have a Garden for more information. -- Margy

5 comments:

  1. I love to save seeds and grow something the next season. What do they plan to do - walk up and down the streets and check to see if you planted seeds from a packet or from your saved seeds? That could be spend, especially if they wanted to check out your floating garden. Sometimes the foolishness of legislatures amuses me and sometimes it is just foolishness and not amusing at all.

    Looking forward to seeing your marigolds in the summer. (and next year too)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I despair of politicians, I think it is obligatory to lose your common sense when you enter government. The EU have been trying to introduce similar laws and there have been street protests everywhere xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good luck with your marigolds! It's such a shame that politicians are so easily influenced and usually not for the common good. It's ridiculous.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I simply cannot believe you are planting! We had snow this morning. sigh
    (ツ) from Cottage Country Ontario , ON, Canada!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Germination update: I had almost given up on any of the Marigolds taking hold, when four plants started blooming in the pots on my front deck. Unfortunately, all of the seeds planted in the garden didn't germinate for some reason. At least it was worth a try with minor success. - Margy

    ReplyDelete

We welcome your comments and questions. - Wayne and Margy