Saturday, September 04, 2010

Cabin Cooking: Gastronomic Garden Goodies

My floating garden and containers produce things we eat fresh. The trick is, to get our garden goodies to come in when we need and can use them and right now we are getting a good combination of items to eat.

I pulled my onions in mid-July and cured them for storage. This year's crop was pretty puny, so they are already almost gone. Same goes for zucchini, but my bell peppers and tomatoes are producing well. What better way to combine these items than on skewers to go with BBQ beef ribs.

They are so easy to prepare. I use a little oil and rice wine vinegar mixed with Lawry's Lemon Pepper (I use this for just about everything) and my own dried herbs I call Margy's Mix. I cut the veggies into bite-size chunks and let them marinade for several hours. When the meat is about half done, the skewers go on the grill set on medium. We use the leftover marinade to baste them while cooking for extra flavour. About 10 minutes on each side gets them al dente, just the way we like them, a fresh gastronomic delight. -- Margy

4 comments:

  1. Yum.
    I can't decide which picture I like best -- the floating garden (what a concept) or the colorful veggies on skewers.
    I've got to ask what made you think of a floating garden. Is this for your float house? I guess that would explain it ...not much land available, LOL.
    Does the owl keep small birds away? I love the hanging snorkel-ducky.
    Great post, Margy!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good idea, I'll cook up some skewers tonight.

    ReplyDelete
  3. In answer to your question, yes, it is a floating garden because we don't have much land near our cabin. Plus, the critters on shore love to eat garden produce. Out in the water, it is protected from their hungry nibbles, at least most of the time. We did have an enterprising woodrat last year that made it out there. He either had to swim or leap across from the cliff to the log breakwater.

    Margaret - I had to strip my plants today because I'm leaving for Los Angeles to do some work. It was tasty while it lasted. I canned some tomatoes, but froze the rest tonight. I put the green ones in the fridge hoping they will last the three weeks until I can get back. My peppers did really well. I froze them in halves to use for stuffed peppers. Fortunately my freezer in town has more space than the cabin one.

    Margy

    ReplyDelete

We welcome your comments and questions. - Wayne and Margy