Wednesday, March 26, 2014

Kindle eBook Reader

Mine has a bright red case. Kindle is the eBook reader from Amazon. There are lots of different brands available, but I like the Kindle:

  • It's compact and light weight.
  • It's relatively inexpensive.
  • The battery lasts a long time.
  • It can hold over 1,000 books.
  • Amazon maintains your archived library.
  • A case with a built-in light runs off the Kindle battery.
  • You can adjust the font size.
  • You can read it in bright sunlight. 
  • You can buy books from your Kindle or computer.
  • You can wirelessly download books.
  • eBooks are less expensive than printed ones.
  • There are literally thousands of titles to choose from.
  • Many books are free or very low cost.
  • You can electronically search book contents.

I got mine over three years ago. You can see she's had lots of use. This model is similar to the basic Kindle that now sells for $69. It's perfect for off-the-grid living. I load it up with books during trips to town and then have plenty to read up at the cabin.

http://www.powellriverbooks.comThe Kindle (and other e-readers) have revolutionized the publishing industry, especially for self-published authors like my husband Wayne. It's relatively easy to get a manuscript into the electronic format necessary for online sales. And there's no investment required for publishing printed copies.

Mark these dates for FREE Kindle e-books:

Travel Memoirs

Coastal BC Stories: Up the Inlet on April 5
Flying the Pacific Northwest on April 19-20

Science Fiction

When Galaxies Collide on April 5
Across the Galactic Sea on April 19-20

If you don't have a Kindle, you can still read books (including Wayne's) that are available through Amazon.com. They offer a free Kindle App for computers and most handheld devices and smart phones. Want something with more bells and whistles? They even have a Kindle for that.

Do you have a Kindle or e-reader? What's your favourite one and why? -- Margy

8 comments:

  1. My daughter gave me one of those kinds of readers for Xmas, so I must see if I can get it working for when we travel. At home, I much prefer holding a real book. Loving the red cover!

    Leslie
    abcw team

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have the Kindle app on my iPad and iPhone and really enjoy reading Wayne's book on it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have the Kindle for PC on my lap top and the app on my Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 10.1 but that wasn't enough. Since I have Amazon Prime, it just made sense to get a Kindle - I got the new Kindle Fire HDX in the 7 inch and I love it. I haven't used it to read much but more for streaming video from Amazon Prime. Like Leslie, I like holding a real book!

    ReplyDelete
  4. We have the kindle paperwhite - back lit for reading outdoors in bright sunlight even.

    Some states have Anytime Library - you can link through your local library card and checkout books for two weeks - if you don't finish the book in two weeks and request it again - when you get it, it opens up to the last place you were reading - pretty clever.

    We also use Bookbub.com - free and/or inexpensive books and you can pick your categories - they send you a listing of books in your category (mine is biographies - though you can pick more than one category) every few days.

    So many books to read - so easy with Kindle.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the plug Linda.

    For everyone else, I hope you mark the dates on your calendars to get some of Wayne's books in Kindle format for FREE.

    Margy

    ReplyDelete
  6. My wife's had a Kindle for over 2 years; has not adapted to it yet. I have access on my Android, and not my preference either.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I haven't gone to an e-reader, but I don't travel much. I'm happy with a book I can write in!

    ReplyDelete
  8. If you should be opting for finest contents like me, just visit this blog site daily because it provides the feature contents, thanks.free ebooks

    ReplyDelete