Sunday, April 28, 2013

"Strong and Independent" by Yarrow Alpine

When I travel, I love to visit used bookstores. You just never know what treasures you will find. Recently when I went Hope, BC, I found Pages Bookstore and Fraser-Cascade Literacy Centre. They have an awesome selection with used books for $2.00 each (except for new and rare editions). I found several books including one that was quite unique.

Strong and Independent: A system of food storage, and homesteading ... with nutritional guidelines was written by Yarrow Alpine. It was published in 1983 before self-publishing was a common practice.

The system presented includes a combination of growing your own food, buying healthy foods in bulk, food storage, and self-sufficiency for individuals, families and communities. The text is typed interspersed with hand written titles and illustrations. The list of chapters for this 110 page book gives you a feel for what is included:

  •  The Feel of the System
  • The Role of Protein
  • The Role of Carbohydrates and Fats
  • Stocking Up
  • Nutritional Supplements
  • Food System with a Heart
Alpine Yarrow is from Salmon Arm in the southern interior of British Columbia. Her bio on the back cover states that she's a nutritional consultant working in the small community's natural food store. The book is based on her training as a nutritionist, personal experience, and childhood memories.

Trying to live a more simple life at the cabin, it will be a good resource for my library.

Do you love visiting used bookstores? What are some of the treasures you've found? -- Margy

5 comments:

  1. Very belatedly, «Louis» thanks you for your visit to San Francisco Bay Daily Photo.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We have several awesome used book stores in our area that we visit, our favorite is City Lights Bookstore. I'll have to look for this book, sounds like a perfect addition to our living off the land collection. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for returning Louis. I need to get out and find some bridges soon.

    Lise - Isn't it fun to find those perfect old books? I would have expected this one would have had a high price tag because it must be rare, but it was only $2 just like all the other regular books in the store.

    Margy

    ReplyDelete
  4. In 1994 in was fortunate to meet Yarrow as I took her 6 month herbology course. Best experience. I would love to have her book Strong and Independent, have checked all the bk stores in and around Salmon Arm area in the north Okanagan.Any luck you may have an extra? I live in London Ontario now. Joan.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How exciting to meet Yarrow and take her course. I just happened to find my copy while on a trip to Hope, BC. When I bought it, I wasn't familiar with her background. I don't know how to help you find a copy. I tried Google and nothing came up. Maybe visit rare bookstore sites, including English ones. I've found hard to locate books there in the past. - Margy

      Delete

We welcome your comments and questions. - Wayne and Margy