Tuesday, March 26, 2013

Last Pickings, First Planting

Spring is finally here. The weather is a bit fickle, but the longer days let you know the world is changing. It's time to get my floating garden ready for the new season.

First I picked the end of last year's crops. I leave things like carrots, kale, and chard in the ground. Even with freezing temperatures, they last better that way.

The only thing I dared to plant this early was garlic bulbs I found at Canadian Tire (your tire store and more).  For the last two years I've grown garlic in small pots on the transition float deck. I don't get a large crop, but plenty to last us for the following year.

The last thing was to work up the soil and augment it with some steer manure and peat.  Wayne helped me get it done just before another rainstorm moved through. Now everything can rest for a month.  I'll begin my seed and seedling planting during my next visit in mid-April.

Are you working in your garden yet? What have you been doing to get ready for the new season? -- Margy

5 comments:

  1. I am planning on planting some sunflower seeds to see if they will grow. I am also going to start some seeds indoor soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We still have to fell 6 very big trees before we can get to planting, it's still too cold here anyway. But we did prepare the garden with horse manure, winter rye and straw...so everything is ready for planting in about 3 or 4 weeks...I'm looking forward to it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've got garlic in the ground and potatoes chatting, but the weather is just to cold to consider nothing else xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Stephanie - Sunflowers are so much fun. I would love to try some, but I'm afraid the critters would eat them up on the hill.

    Lise - You've got your work cut out for you. My little garden patch keeps me going. Not sure what I'd do if it was larger.

    Fran - You've got me again. What do potatoes chat about? I know it isn't that, but it's not a term I'm familiar with.

    Margy

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm going to grow some chives - maybe some lettuce. Our house has a cool micro climate so we are growing what will stand the cool days. I just love the idea of your floating garden - what a treat.

    ReplyDelete

We welcome your comments and questions. - Wayne and Margy