Saturday, November 12, 2011

Canning: Canned Spiced Apples

With a minimal garden this year, I didn't get to do any canning. I was out of canned apples, so I decided to buy a bag at the store and use the same simple recipe from last year. To make them more to my liking, I changed the flavouring from vanilla to spices and added some red food colouring for a crab apple look.

Canned Spiced Apples

10 medium apples
4 3/4 cups sugar
4 cups water
4 cinnamon sticks
1 teaspoon whole cloves
1 teaspoon red food colouring

Fill a large bowl with water then add one tablespoon salt and one tablespoon vinegar. This will be a "bath" to keep the apples from turning brown while you get them all peeled and cut.









Peel, core, slice then put apples in the water bath. Mix sugar (I ended up using a cup less to reduce the sweetness), water, food colouring and spices wrapped in cheesecloth in a large pot and bring to a boil to make a heavy syrup.

Drain and rinse the apples. Carefully add them to the heavy syrup and cook for 5 minutes or until they become translucent. Stay just under the boiling point to prevent foaming. Spoon the apples into clean hot jars, cover with boiling syrup leaving 1/2 inch head space. Seal the jars and process in a boiling water bath for 30 minutes.

The syrup is very sweet, making the apples a good side dish or topping for ice cream. I had a lot of syrup left over and hated to waste it. It had a spicy apple flavour, so I tried putting some in 7-Up and it made a tasty fall drink. Later, I got some club soda and that was even better. Do you have any favourite fall apple recipes? I'd love to hear them. - Margy

9 comments:

  1. Those look delicious and that color is lovely. What did you think of your first canning experience?

    Margaret

    ReplyDelete
  2. That looks great, Margy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely color. Canning can be fun sometimes if you do a little at a time. I am going to make applesauce this weekend.
    ~~Hugs~~

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes Betty, it is fun a little at a time. I'm not sure how I would feel if it was a huge batch.

    Margaret, it was pretty easy but I still worry about sterilizing and making sure it is safe. But maybe that's a good thin.


    Margy

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the idea. We love apples any old way and right now I am drying them. Four gallons dried with another 20 to go.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That looks scrumptious! Years ago, I had a recipe for pork chops and candied apples that used a package of the cinnamon red hots! I remember they were delicous. I'll have to look for that recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for the great idea and recipe. I remember rings of spiced apples being served with a meal at restaurants when I was a kid - I always liked them. Now I can try to make something similar here at home.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is now my second year of making canned spiced apples. They were still easy and tasty. We ate three jars almost before they cooled. - Margy

    ReplyDelete

We welcome your comments and questions. - Wayne and Margy