Sunday, March 18, 2018

Repotting a Red Currant

Painting the outside of the drum.
Last year I potted a red currant in a small container. It grew substantially over the summer so this spring I gave it a bigger home.

I used a 55-gallon plastic barrel given to me by my friend John. It was quite worn, so I spray painted the exterior with Rust-oleum flat black that adheres plastic.


The bottom filled with empty plastic bottles.
The top third of the barrel was cut off (I used it for a separate planter), leaving a large area for soil and root growth. After drilling the bottom with drain holes, I filled it with a layer of empty plastic bottles.


Cutting a drainage filter.
Then I cut a large circle of mill felt (course woven polyester) to go on top of the bottles to prevent soil from clogging the drainage holes. When I don't have mill felt, I use cut-to-fit air conditioner replacement pads.

Before filling the container with soil, I inserted a 64" high metal fan trellis and attached it to the back of the barrel by drilling holes and wiring it securely in place.

My repotted red currant now has ample space for root growth and a trellis to train and support its branches. This summer I'm hoping for a good crop of berries on the branches that grew last year.

The red currant repotted with a trellis to support vertical growth.

The cost for my new container was $24.00:

55-gallon barrel (free from a friend)
Rustoleum Spray Paint $4.00 (with lots left over)
Fan trellis from Canadian Tire ($20.00)
Plastic bottles (recycled)
Mill felt (free from a friend)

How do you get low cost large containers for growing plants? -- Margy

6 comments:

  1. I know our raccoons would eat these up in a minute! You have a wonderful opportunity for growing yummy stuff! And creative about reduce, reuse, recycle!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Large containers are so expensive. The 55-gallon barrels work really well for many kinds of plants such as tomatoes, potatoes and squash. After winter wind storms you can find them floating around the lake. Even if they are somewhat damaged they can be used as planters, and each one makes two when cut in half. - Margy

      Delete
  2. Thanks for the tips! Hope you are having a good week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are welcome. I enjoy sharing. - Margy

      Delete
  3. What a grand idea - love the planter. I tend to find my large planters at yard sales and/or thrift shops - I've only bought three planters new - and they were on clearance. I haven't made any out of recyclable other containers - but at least I'm reusing ones that were being thrown aside and now can take care of my plants. Happy gardening - I have one pansy that overwintered and it has one bloom - the others are just sitting about waiting for some warmth - do you think we will ever get some?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Seems like the weather want's to tease us, nice one day and back to winter the next, or all in the same day. I'm holding off on planting until I know for sure plants can sprout safely. - Margy

      Delete

We welcome your comments and questions. - Wayne and Margy