Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Wings Over Westview

On Sunday, I posted a video (Wicked Winter Weather) about the dedicated service provided by the ferry crew on the Island Princess. Getting to and from Powell River can be a challenge in November because it's a time for lots of rain and wind. Because Powell River is isolated from the rest of mainland Coastal BC by huge fjords, we are dependent on ferry and airline service for transportation.

Pacific Coastal Airlines is a regional airline (that began in Powell River by the way) that provides daily flights to and from Vancouver BC in all kinds of weather. Just like the ferries, they sometimes have to cancel during severe storms, but they continue providing a vital link to the outside world whenever it is safe.

The planes used by Pacific Coastal are smaller turbo props well suited to the short strips and weather conditions of our area. They are large enough to accommodate the demand, but small enough to give you the feel of private flying.

Are you coming to Vancouver for the 2010 Winter Olympics? Head on over to the South Terminal and catch a flight to Powell River. We have lots of winter activities to entice you. Click here and see. -- Margy

7 comments:

  1. Great post! I love the first photo and the grizzly bear painted on the tail of the plane in the second one. When my son was in college, I used to fly on a DeHavilland Otter to visit him. It was great - until we'd hit turbulence. :) Do the planes in photos have single props?

    ReplyDelete
  2. what a great idea for people....and what a glorious flight it would be....great suggestion...I want to know...did the airlines give you a little something for making this post?

    ReplyDelete
  3. How long is the flight from the mainland to Powell River? Do you travel to the mainland often by air?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous2:18 PM

    It is rather interesting for me to read that article. Thanx for it. I like such topics and anything connected to them. I would like to read more on that blog soon.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the shot inside the plane! I'm not sure I could do it myself, though... it seems like awfully tight quarters in there! I hope you guys haven't been getting the wind storms we have.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've been following your terrific posts about the windstorms, and have been thinking about your cabin. Sounds like you're in for another blow today.

    Wind has been extremely powerful here...yesterday it sounded as if a freight train was going through...it actually gave me pause for a minute. Wow!

    I do hope your cabin is ok!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks to everyone for visiting My World post.

    Stephany - All the planes that serve our community and the ones in the photos are twin engine models. The beauty of Pacific Coastal is that they have a variety of planes and can size them to the needs of the towns they fly in to. Even their small float planes have two engines, but they may have a few smaller models for charter.

    Smalltown RN - I write posts about businesses and products I like, hopefully to help others. I do not receive any compensation for any of my posts, unless you count a hug from Wayne if we sell a book. LOL

    Stine - A flight from Powell River to Vancouver takes about 25 minutes. We usually fly when we are returning to visit my Mom in the states, maybe about once or twice a month. It is more costly than driving and the ferries, but obviously much quicker and less stressful.

    Lizziviggi and Marion - Yes we have been getting some pretty bad winds. We were stuck in town one night because we didn't dare take our boat out on the lake. That is the most dangerous part about the winds. At the cabin we do rock and roll a bit, but our bay is fairly protected. Last night in town there were 100 klick winds and lots of power went out. Up the lake we got 25 klicks. Way less but still enough to rattle our windows and make some waves. - Margy

    ReplyDelete

We welcome your comments and questions. - Wayne and Margy