Monday, August 03, 2009

Day 5: The Granite Planet

Elaine (a Newfie by birth) over at A Scattering has been following my trip to Canada's east coast. She's on her way here as well, but we'll miss each other by a few days. "The Granite Planet" is her nickname for this magnificent Newfoundland.


View Larger Map

Our ferry from North Sydney to Port-aux-Basques was nine hours late in leaving. The biggest problem, we would arrive after midnight. That meant we would have to stay in a hotel in town rather than camp as originally planned. On top of everything else, when the ferry docked it was foggy. Wayne called ahead, so we had reservations at the St. Christopher's Hotel. Good thing, a steady stream of cars followed us there. But it wasn't all bad. I got an unexpected shower and shampoo!

This morning we got up and drove north on T.C.H. (Trans-Canada Highway) 1 to Gros Morne National Park on the west coast of Newfoundland. The drive was through forested areas, but the trees here are much smaller. When we pulled into Corner Brook, we drove past the pulp and paper bill. All of the timer stacked for processing was small and short. But if you are grinding it into pulp, I guess the size doesn't matter. From Corner Brook we took Highway 450 to Lark Harbour. It is a beautiful drive along a fjord with little fishing and resort villages along the way.

Back on Highway 1 we headed for the national park and our campground for the evening in Trout River. It is next to Trout River Pond. Here they call a fjord cut off from the ocean a pond. I guess that makes our Powell Lake a "pond" as well. It seem funny calling such large bodies of water a pond, but who am I to argue with a Newfie.

We just finished having dinner in the Town of Trout River at the Seaside Restaurant. It was the best meal we've had so far on this trip. It faces the ocean side of the isthmus between the pond and the sea. Wayne and I tried the caplin fish, a local delicacy. They are a small fish like a smelt that cod and whales eat. We took our turn feeding on their rich flavour. Not bad. Now we are heading back to our campground. Maybe tonight we'll get a chance to sit in our chairs and relax! -- Margy

FREE HOTSPOT WATCH: Seaside Restaurant in Trout River and the Gros Morne National Park. Have a great dinner while you connect!

4 comments:

  1. I finally am back to reading your blog...I hadn't put you on my bloglines so sort of forgot! Glad I'm back reading! I'm excited you are in NF...my dad is a Newfie..was born in Trinity Bay, Random Arm, Caplin Cove. I LOVE the Rock, as we call it! I hope you have a great time. Meet the locals, you will love them...the friendliest province in Canada. You have to get off the Trans Canada and explore the villages! Hey, if you are heading to St. John's, if you have time, when you get to Clarinville, go north and you will find Random Arm and Caplin Cove, Gooseberry Cove, Little Hear's Ease...it's a beautiful area of NF. Enjoy!Karyne

    ReplyDelete
  2. So the east coast boats are much different from the west coast boats eh!!!! Glad you are having a wonderful time. The photos are great and I think right now I would sooner be there than here.
    Have a safe journey.
    Blessings and smiles

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have to give credit where credit is due - I first heard the expression "Granite Planet" from my niece's boyfriend, Ian.

    ReplyDelete

We welcome your comments and questions. - Wayne and Margy