Tuesday, August 20, 2019

Renewed Raised Bed Floating Garden

My float garden in 2007.
My floating garden was built by our good friend John in 2003. It's served us well over the years, but the cedar siding on my four raised beds and the center walkway are rotting away. It was time for the wood to be replaced.


Over the years my garden has been highlighted in the media.
I called John for the renewal of my floating garden. He purchased cedar 2x8s and nailed them to the outside of my existing bed borders. That was the easiest solution without tearing off the old boards and losing precious soil in the process. 

Closeups of the new raised bed siding and center walkway.

Each bed is four feet wide and eight feet long. Soil depth is seven inches, but you would be amazed at how much I can grow in this little space. Click here to read more about float gardening.

New cedar boards outside and in.

Heavy fiberglass cloth called mill felt is on the bottom of each bed. The mesh is fine enough to keep the soil in, yet porous enough to allow water to drain. Click here to read more about the construction.

My renewed floating garden back out on the log boom to deter critter invasions.

Do you garden in raised beds? What are some of your favourite crops? -- Margy

22 comments:

  1. Looking good. Hoping for some wheelchair-height raised beds on our deck next year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That would be perfect. If I recall correctly they had some at your rehab facility. Raised beds are so much easier to grow crops than in the regular garden. - Margy

      Delete
  2. Your gardens are amazing! I've always wanted some raised beds in the backyard, but haven't gotten around to getting them started. Its a tough growing environment here in the summer. It's so hot! Where you are looks so beautiful and peaceful. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The raised beds on the float take more watering because there isn't soil underneath to retain the moisture. You should have better luck with them than I do. - Margy

      Delete
  3. lovely, but definitely a bit of work!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gardening is a good kind of work. You see results quickly and can eat the fruits of your labour. - Margy

      Delete
  4. Lots of hard work I presume but so worth it !

    Have a heartwarming en splendid ABC-Wednes-day / -week
    M e l o d y (team ABC-W)
    https://melodyk.nl/25-G

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Work goes in spurts. Lots at planting and harvesting time. In between there is just watering every few days after the spring showers end. - Margy

      Delete
  5. Smart to enclose the old wood with the new, as you say, soil on the water is precious! We are going to be building some sort of growing containers in the Spring in addition to the container growing I already do. Hubby is drawing up plans at the moment

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The only problem with leaving the old wood is the rot working it's way into the new wood, but even with that issue the new siding should last another 15 years or so. - Margy

      Delete
  6. Only seven inches deep! I am impressed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I grow scarlet nantes carrots. They are a short variety and do well in shallow soil. Lettuce, beets, onions, garlic, etc. don't take much depth to grow. - Margy

      Delete
    2. Good to know, Margy, thank you very much. I'm thinking about vegetable gardening in pots next year.

      Delete
  7. Gardening is a form of art. This is lovely.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just like my drawings, practice helps. - Margy

      Delete
  8. This is just amazing. I simply don't know how you do it! I'm tired after a two-day trip!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We just got back from a four day boat trip and I really need a good night's sleep. Road trips do the same to me as well. - Margy

      Delete
  9. I can easily picture you making a beautiful garden there. Such and idyllic place.

    -Soma

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your floating garden is amazing Margy, and the scenery there fabulous. I admire your free lifestyle very much <3 Greetings from a Finnish 'maakrapu' - landlubber(?)! I am not sure wether that is a correct term meaning a person who wants to stick to solid ground!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Margy - a clever solution to put on new boards in order to avoid losing the soil! And congratulations on all the recognition you have received for your floating beds! You deserve it! Thanks for linking to Mosaic Monday!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I got a kit for building a raised bed but then my husband had surgery and nothing got built. Maybe next year.

    ReplyDelete
  13. It sure looks neat! I've never tried doing this but it looks interesting!

    ReplyDelete

We welcome your comments and questions. - Wayne and Margy