Wednesday, February 25, 2015

Coastal BC Plants: White Cushion Moss

White Cushion Moss

When I walk around in the bush, I'm always taking pictures of things that catch my eye. Here's a moss that I thought was unusual. It looked a bit like a Tribble from the original Star Trek series. I'm not positive, but I think it's a Cushion Moss.


It definitely looks like a puffy cushion. I'm not sure why it got the name White Cushion Moss (Leucobyrum glaucum), because it's definitely a bright green. Maybe because some have a whitish cast. This moss grows in clumps 2-7 centimetres (1-3 inches) tall. If clumps grow together into a mat they give it a lumpy appearance. This specimen does not yet have any sporophytes on tall stalks for reproduction. Look for it in shady, moist areas on the forest floor or decaying trees. You can also purchase it to add to your garden. -- Margy

7 comments:

  1. Hah! Love Star Trek and especially Tribbles♪ http://lauriekazmierczak.com/grandly-glorious/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great info on one of our common mosses - it is definitely a favorite.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The GREENERY appears to GLOW!

    ROG, ABCW

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've seen that up on Baker--real pretty.
    MB

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks everyone for stopping by this week to comment. I always appreciate the extra effort it takes. - Margy

    ReplyDelete
  6. From what I found when searching was; It is often called white cushion moss because of the white sheen that gives it its light green color

    ReplyDelete

We welcome your comments and questions. - Wayne and Margy