Wednesday, February 04, 2015

Coastal BC Plants: Pacific Dogwood

Pacific Dogwood

The Pacific dogwood was adopted in 1956 as British Columbia's provincial flower. I think it's a great choice. The large white flowers really stand out when you get up close.

The Pacific dogwood is a small deciduous broad-leaved tree that grows from California to British Columbia along the Pacific Coast at lower elevations. It can reach 20 metres (65 feet) in height. Along Powell Lake, you'll find them near the shore.

In spring, the dogwood is covered with lots of large white flowers with four to seven "petals" around a greenish-white center. This makes the trees easy to find in the otherwise green forest.

What looks like white petals are really called bracts. A bract is a modified leaf that surrounds a flower, usually larger and more showy than the flower itself. In the case of the dogwood, the greenish white center is the true flowering portion of the plant.

"When the dogwoods are in bloom, fishing is good."

Rainbow trout from Powell Lake.

On Powell Lake there's an old fisherman's saying that goes, "When the dogwoods are in bloom, fishing is good." I'm not sure how true it is, but Wayne caught this one on the same day I took my Pacific dogwood pictures near our float cabin home. -- Margy

14 comments:

  1. Love Dogwood! We have one growing outside the kitchen window. It just leaves an awful mess though when the blooms fall to the balcony floor.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We are lucky, we get to enjoy the view and don't have to clean up the mess. - Margy

      Delete
  2. I've never heard of this type of dogwood, so this was a wonderful learning experience. My dogwoods from the SE are a different variety and they were always a real favorite of mine in the spring!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love dogwood and cut the red stemmed ones for use in my winter greenery pots. That is neat about the dogwood blooming and catching fish.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great post! Love the dogwood - forgot it was B.B.'s provincial flower.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great photos and info. We discovered a small dogwood in the woods across the street from our house. Last year it had a few flowers - can't wait until it is big and full of flowers.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I don't think I've seen dogwood before. I must go check if there are any parks nearby that have them. Thanks for the info.
    The View from the Top of the Ladder

    ReplyDelete
  7. I never knew about dogwood before.
    Look pretty in bloom.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yellow is the colour for spring! I am sure though that your white dogwood is as beautiful as the daffodils!
    I wish you a happy weekend.
    Wil, ABCW Team

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Daffodils are my favourite garden flower. Mine are just starting to bud. So early this year because of the warmer weather. - Margy

      Delete
  9. Gorgeous dogwoods! Congrats on the great catch :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Pretty little flowers, reminds me it wont be long before Spring arrives!
    Best wishes,
    Di.
    ABCW team

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love the greenery. Makes me think of spring.

    ROG, ABCW

    ReplyDelete

We welcome your comments and questions. - Wayne and Margy