Wednesday, August 27, 2014

Coastal BC Plants: Goatsbeard

 Goatsbeard

Goatsbeard (Aruncus dioicus) is a perennial herbaceous plant that grows in wet areas along streams, ravines, rocky cliffs, and at the edge of the forest. This one was at the edge of the forest, on a granite ledge, along the Eldred River.

Goatsbeard can grow up to two metres tall from an underground rhizome. Each plant has several stems with pointed, toothed leaves. Male and female flowers are on separate plants.


The flowers almost glow in the shaded woods. -- Margy

8 comments:

  1. Now I know what these are. Thanks for the interesting info. Nice images!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the lesson - I now shall go look for this! I don't think I have every seen one.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This was a nice post! I'm not sure I've seen it in the "wild," but I have it in my shade gardens! I do have to make sure it is watered adequately. It also re-seeds! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great plant to highlight this week. Carver, ABCW Team

    ReplyDelete
  5. Goatsbeard grows in huge forests around Bellingham - along the hillsides - in the woods - everywhere. It is the one plant that I am allergic to. I can tell the minute they start blooming - my eyes itch and run all the glorious two months. I love the beauty of the plants - how prolific they are - and even though I suffer from their pollen - I am always a little sad to see them come to the end of their blooming cycle.

    I wish someone would put their bees by Goatsbeard and make honey - then I could use it in my tea to help me get over my allergy. Wonderful plants - watery eyes - but it is worth it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. what a descriptive name!
    ROG, ABCW

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think I have seen them in New Zealand.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a nice post. I never heard about this plant before...

    ReplyDelete

We welcome your comments and questions. - Wayne and Margy