Wednesday, August 06, 2014

Coastal BC Plants: Common Dandelion

Common Dandelion

You see Common Dandelions (Taraxacum officinale) almost everywhere in town and country. It's one of the most common plants and is very visible with their bright yellow flowers in spring and their seed puff balls in summer.

I remember loving to pick them to blow the seed off. Guess that wasn't too smart with my dad trying to get them out of the lawn. But oh, so much fun for a kid.


Dandelions are a member of the daisy family. Other than lawns in urban areas, look for them in places where the soil has been disturbed such as roadsides and pastures.

Dandelions have dark green leaves, bright yellow flowers, and long tap roots that allow them to teach enough moisture to grow in very dry locations. That's one reason they are hard to eradicate, not to mention all of the seeds from their round, puffy seed head.

As prolific as these flower are, it's hard to believe they are not native. They originated in Europe and were brought to North America by early settlers for their herbal qualities, as a food source for man and beast, and of course, to make dandelion wine.

Here's a link with more information about which parts are good to eat, and how best to prepare them. Who knew, the scourge of the lawn is a bounty for the table.

Do you have any dandelion stories, or even recipes, especially for a good bottle of wine? -- Margy

9 comments:

  1. I've never eaten them or drunk them. But they sure are pretty! A big part of my lawn these days!

    ReplyDelete
  2. They seem to have taken over the back and front lawn here. I do like Dandelion greens in my salad.

    ReplyDelete
  3. They certainly are a pest in the lawn but so bright and cheerful and I love the seed heads too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I didn't know dandelions were not native to North America. And really we should be cultivating the plants for food and drink rather than killing them off :)
    I think they are pretty and used to pick them when I was a kid - to give my mom a bouquet of flowers.
    Cheers,
    Susan

    ReplyDelete
  5. I LIKE them. I don't think of them as weeds at all.
    ROG, ABCW

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like the dandelion flower but not its roots and leaves in my garden. You can eat them. My grandson used to call them "grand pa-and- grandmaflowers" because of their white heads after blooming.
    Wil, ABCW Team.

    ReplyDelete
  7. We have quite a few if we don't spray for them, hubby doesn't think to highly of them. They are pretty though.
    ann

    ReplyDelete
  8. As a kid I used to love blowing dandelion clocks.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for visiting my ABC Wednesday contribution and taking the time to comment.

    Reader Wil - That's a cute name. Aren't kids great.

    Margy

    ReplyDelete

We welcome your comments and questions. - Wayne and Margy