Wednesday, November 06, 2013

Samantha's Quest of a Lifetime

Q is for Quest

I would like to take this opportunity to introduce a high school student from Powell River, BC, who dreams of going on a personal quest to Antarctica as part of an educational program called Students on Ice to learn about environmental issues and climate change. I wish I had embarked on such an opportunity.

I read about Samantha's quest in an article in the Powell River Peak. You can read the article and see her picture here. Samantha said:
I am excited and inspired by the natural environment and think it is important for my generation to learn about sustainability and climate change. I think that the hands-on learning of the expedition will teach me about world issues in a new and different way, and I want to be able to share what I learn with other students at my school and in the community when I get back.
The expedition will be from December 27, 2013 to January 10, 2014.  Samantha has a fundraising goal of $15,000 to become one of a select group of 70 students from around the world.

from www.studentsonice.com
Samantha is a community oriented grade 11 student, and is using money from her summer job to help pay her own way. Wayne and I decided immediately we wanted to donate to help Samantha with her quest. If you would like to help, go to www.studentsonice.com and use the donate button. Write in the message/instruction box that the donation is for Samantha (her last name is in the Peak article). The Students on Ice Foundation is a registered Canadian charity. Donations over $100 receive a tax receipt, but all donations will help this deserving girl on a quest. -- Margy

9 comments:

  1. Quite an adventurer she is! The best to her!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's a fascinating quest of hers!! It would be such a trip of a lifetime for a young person with such goals. Thanks for your visit, I so enjoyed your comment about your horse--very funny.
    Ann

    ReplyDelete
  3. What an ambition. I think it is very important for young students to go and learn outside the classroom setting. I hope she reaches her quest goal soon. I am sure there is much to learn.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wonderful that young people go on a quest to examine the climate.
    Have a great week.
    Wil, ABCW Team.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous6:11 PM

    Good luck to Samantha and her quest of going to Antarctica.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Certainly very interesting but very cold for me !

    ReplyDelete
  7. Go Samantha! More power to you. MB

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks everyone for commenting on Samantha's quest. I'll give everyone an update if she makes it all the way to Antarctica. - Margy

    ReplyDelete

We welcome your comments and questions. - Wayne and Margy