Saturday, September 15, 2012

Fraser River Sturgeon

At the bottom of the mighty Fraser River in British Columbia, lives a mighty and massive fish. The Fraser River White Sturgeon is a remnant of prehistoric times. The skin is covered with large bony plates rather than scales, and the skeleton is mostly cartilage. Barbels on the underside of the head help it find food on the river bottom, making up for poor eyesight.

In Mission BC, along the banks of the river, there's a sculptural tribute to this interesting and illusive fish. Here's an amazing article about a 1,100 pound sturgeon caught this summer. And it's still there, because fortunately sturgeon fishing on the Fraser is only catch and release. For more information on protecting sturgeon, check out the Fraser River Sturgeon Conservation Society. -- Margy

10 comments:

  1. Now you wouldn't be catching that on a 10#-test line! 1100 - my oh my!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, what a huge fish. I can not imagine catching such a big fish. Thanks for sharing the story. Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  3. An amazing prehistoric camera critter, Margy!
    K

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful capture.

    Visiting from Camera Critters. Crows is my entry this week. Hope you'd come and see.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That´s an interesting story about the fish. Seems to be a nice place where you found him.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous6:14 AM

    Amazing story. I can't imagine landing a fish that size.
    I like your photo of the sculpture.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sturgeon is a might fish alright and pretty good tasting. Love the sculpture and story too.

    PS: Bob insisted I post a pic of my knee. Take a look. haha MB

    ReplyDelete
  8. I so love sculptures. Great capture!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Anonymous11:10 PM

    The sturgeon sculpture really catches my attention. It really look like real. :p Columbia river sturgeon fishing

    ReplyDelete

We welcome your comments and questions. - Wayne and Margy