Thursday, December 31, 2020

2020 Year in Review

2020 has been like no other year, filled with stress, fear and isolation worldwide. After an Arizona RV trip, Wayne and I chose to self-isolate in Bellingham until July. Many of my posts included "throwbacks" to better times in our float cabin home on Powell Lake. 

Click the titles to read the complete posts.


1. Dancing in Gumboots by Lou Allison and Jane Wilde -  I read more in 2020. Did you? I like books written by women who homestead or live off the grid. Dancing in Gumboots is an anthology of stories by women who came to live in the Comox Valley on Vancouver Island during the 1970s.

Related post: Gumboot Girls by Lou Allison and Jane Wilde was the first anthology of stories by women who settled in Haida Gwaii (formerly Queen Charlotte Islands) and Prince Rupert in the 1960s.


2. Throwback: A Perfect Day Up the Lake -  We finally got back to our float cabin home in mid-July. We were in Bellingham when the U.S./Canada border closed due to COVID. Getting home was wonderful even with a 14-day mandatory quarantine.

Our Powell Lake float cabin home.

Related post: Goin' Home, I'm Goin' Home tells about our most unusual border crossing and the COVID quarantine we completed up the lake.


3. Throwback: Spring Gardening - We missed spring planting up the lake this year. I shared a throwback post about how my floating garden started.

My floating garden in late spring from a previous year.


Related post: What a Difference a Year Makes shows how overgrown and gone to seed my floating garden was when we returned home in July.


4. Refreshing Sourdough Starter - In the first days of the pandemic and yeast was in short supply, making sourdough bread was big thing. I left my starter in the Powell River condo fridge. It had to wait six months for a proper feeding. Amazingly, it refreshed easily and was ready for a new batch of tasty bread.

Active yeast bubbles formed while warming in the kitchen. It's ALIVE!


Related post: Improved No-Knead Sourdough Bread gives you tips I've learned to make easy and tasty sourdough bread.


5. Do you have a kicker?  We made it to Powell River in time for some summer cruising. We socially distanced at marinas and on shore. But we had a few challenges: a leaky new head (toilet), I broke my little finger, and the leg that propels our Bayliner 2452 malfunctioned. Six hours later, and after dark, we limped into Powell River using our emergency kicker motor. Due to COVID back orders, we are still waiting for a replacement.

Putting along at 4.5 knots with the kicker.

Related post: September Cruisin' takes you along on some of our successful summer cruises and a peek at my "busted wing."


2020 was hard, but we had each other for support. We hope 2021 will bring better times for all. -- Wayne and Margy

9 comments:

  1. Margy - an excellent re-cap of a thoroughly odd year. We have so many blessings; the throwback posts bring them clearly into focus and remind us of the good things to come. Happy New Year to you and Wayne!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. While things seemed the worst, there were good times in between to sustain us. - Margy

      Delete
  2. Yes, we have to anticipate that things will get better. Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know it won't be as soon as we hope, but relief from the pandemic and U.S. politics will come. - Margy

      Delete
  3. 2020 did turn everyone's life upside down, yet there are many things we all are grateful for. Wishing you a happy and healthy 2021 Margy 💗

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree. I always try to look on the brighter side. - Margy

      Delete
  4. A nice reflection back on your year, Margy. I did not try making sourdough last year. Fortunately for me I had bought a large amount of yeast before the pandemic hit so I was able to use it all year long. I recently found the large package on sale again in costco. Now I have to stock up on flour.

    Have a very Happy and Healthy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've enjoyed following your adventures, Margy.
    Amalia
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  6. I really enjoyed reading through your adventures. You reminded me of the time that our "kicker" stopped working on our rowboat just when the wind was changing and I had to row back from far out in the lake against the wind.

    ReplyDelete

We welcome your comments and questions. - Wayne and Margy