Friday, July 17, 2020

Goin' home, I'm goin' home

Our Powell Lake float cabin home.
As the Mick Jagger and Rolling Stones lyrics go:
I'm goin' home, I'm goin' home
I'm goin' home, I'm goin' home
I'm goin' home, bome, bome ...
Home, bome, bome ...
Back home,
Yes, I am.
Alright!

Wednesday Wayne and I drove to the Pacific Highway border crossing in Blaine. Because we became Canadian citizens in 2018 and Powell River, BC, is our home, we were allowed to cross the closed US/Canada border. It's closed to all non-essential travel for citizens from the US and other countries until July 31 and a Canadian quarantine requirement is extended until August 31.

BC Ferries recommended that everyone remain in their vehicles.

Rules are in flux right now because of the COVID-19 pandemic, so check before you go with the Canadian Border Service Agency and US Customs and Border Protection.

Back in our Hewscraft finally heading up the lake.

We'd hoped to wait until the quarantine requirement was lifted, but decided it was best to go now while there was still some summer left to enjoy our float cabin home up the lake. And there couldn't be a better place to isolate ourselves for the required 14-day period and beyond.

First Narrows on Powell Lake means we are almost home.

The border crossing was smooth and our BC Ferries connections worked perfectly even without reservations. We left the Bellingham condo at 8:12 am after loading the last of the groceries and arrived at our cabin deck at 6:15 pm. That's a little longer than normal to make the 260 kilometre (162 mile) trip because we built in extra time for border paperwork and early ferry terminal arrivals.

There's no place like home!

Living through the COVID-19 pandemic has been hard on everyone worldwide. Wayne and I hope you and your family are doing as well as possible during these difficult times. -- Margy

26 comments:

  1. Every time I read about your float house, I think how adventurous you are! I'd like to think I could do it, but I'm not sure!
    Anyway, enjoy your remaining summer days!

    Your support for 'My Corner of the World' is much appreciated! Thanks for your link this week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad it felt right to come home. It's a much better place to self isolate, especially during the summer when we can be outdoors so much. - Margy

      Delete
  2. Oh, Margy, I am so happy for you! There's no place like (your float cabin) home.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So true. It's funny, after a day it felt like we hadn't been away for long. - Margy

      Delete
  3. I'm so glad you finally made it there. How fortunate that you have citizenship!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It took us ten years to qualify for Canadian citizenship but it is well worth it. Canada is a great country and British Columbia is the best place to live. - Margy

      Delete
  4. Margy you said it ...."There is no place like home". The float cabin sounds real fun. I loved the First Narrows photo a lot. Have a happy stay :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When we see First Narrows we know we are almost home. That's a great feeling. - Margy

      Delete
  5. You must be so relieved to see it. Yes, a perfectly lovely place to quarantine!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Quarantine isn't much different from self-isolation for us. But the location is way better because we can get outside much easier. - Margy

      Delete
  6. Glad you were able to make it back home without any problems. There's no place like home... especially when you've been away for a while!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is the longest we've ever been away. Even when we were still working in Los Angeles the longest stretch between holidays was three months. - Margy

      Delete
  7. Replies
    1. Thanks Jim. The weather was perfect for ferry rides and driving home. - Margy

      Delete
  8. Glad you got to go back home!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. At home in Canada, a much safer place to be right now. - Margy

      Delete
  9. I am so happy for you!

    Home sweet home!

    ReplyDelete
  10. So glad you made it back to your float home, enjoy every minute of it

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm enjoying gardening again, even if it is just cleaning things up after a season of going fallow. - Margy

      Delete
  11. You are so fortunate to be able to go back home, and to such a lovely area. Also being able to be out in the open air must be quite nice. Here in Nashville many people don’t wear masks and I usually stay inside the house …since March. I was supposed to travel back home, but had to cancel my trip, because of the virus then also because France has banned entry to people coming from the US. Although as a French citizen I could go back for an emergency, but that was not one, I just wanted to go back home for a little while. I have been to British Columbia several times and love it there, it’s so beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Living in Nashville sounds a lot like how we lived at the condo in Bellingham, Washington, from the first of March until this trip. So many trips had to be cancelled. We are looking forward to the fall to see if we can go back to Arizona and retrieve the RV we abandoned there in storage in late February. - Margy

      Delete
  12. I am so happy for you both and the float cabin would definitely be the perfect place to isolate ..... it’s so good you have Canadian citizenship. Enjoy your wonderful summer. (In case I haven’t already said this, I did very much admire how the two of you made the best of your stay in Bellingham under the circumstances and knowing you’d rather be where yo are now! You did good. But I’m glad you’re back on the Lake now.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm so glad you made it back. I was saying last week I had not seen a post from you in a while and I was getting worried. Somehow I missed this post. so glad you are safe and "home"
    Dawn aka Spatulas On Parade

    ReplyDelete
  14. looks like the perfect place to escape Covid - for a while at least. enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Float cabin home!! So very charming. I had a quick look at your other posts,loved your floating garden too!
    Thank you for stopping by my blog. Glad I could come over to yours and read your exciting stories , Margi :)
    Hope you have a great stay at your float cabin home!

    -Priya (http://softypinkngloriousred.wordpress.com/)

    ReplyDelete

We welcome your comments and questions. - Wayne and Margy