Tuesday, April 12, 2016

Growing Blueberry Plants in Pots

Each year I like to try something new in my garden. I use the term loosely, because my garden only includes four raised beds on a cedar log float, a small plot on the upper cliff on shore, and pots around our float cabin deck.

One of my 2016 "experiments" is growing blueberries in pots. I went to the garden shop at Canadian Tire and the nursery person gave me a hand. She said to pick two varieties to plant close together for cross-pollination. Good thing I asked, I had planned to get only one.

Northsky Blueberry
Chandler Blueberry










She recommended a Northsky Blueberry that can get quite tall and a smaller Chandler Blueberry. The Northsky does will in cold areas and produces small midseason berries. The Chandler has large berries for a month or more in the late mid-season.

Back at the cabin, I prepared two large pots. I dug holes deep enough to accept the plants without burying their crowns, but twice as wide to allow for root expansion. Before I placed each plant in its hole, I added some water and plant food, and teased the roots gently apart before placing them in their new homes.


After a good watering to encourage deep root growth, the two pots were placed in a sunny spot on the side deck. I'll keep everyone posted on how things go. If they get too big, I'll repot them in future years. It's nice to have a bit of green on the deck next to my repurposed BBQ flower planter. -- Margy

15 comments:

  1. That sounds like a great experiment to do in your garden. I like to try something different each year too, never thought of blueberry bushes. I'll check around and see if they would do well in my area. Looking forward to seeing updates on how yours do.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They were only $9.99 each and I already had the pots and soil. I love blueberries so I do hope they last.

      Delete
  2. We are doing the same thing here. We picked up three plants a couple weeks ago that were already in flower mode - too early for here. Have kept them inside on the frosty nights. We went with a Northblue, a Chippewa and a Polaris. They are all half high growers so that we can easily protect them from the birds. Here in the high desert, the birds really go after fruit in a big way! A friend in Michigan swears by Chandler as a big producer so you should do well - enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't know anything so I took the nursery person's recommendation. I'm not too worried about birds, we mostly have swallows. But maybe with something to attract them others will arrive. - Margy

      Delete
  3. I hope it works out for you. Someone game me a blueberry plant once and well, it died on me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I run hot and cold with gardening. Some things die, and others flourish. I'll just have to wait and see. - Margy

      Delete
  4. Anonymous8:32 PM

    Hope it works out. I live five minutes away from huge blueberry woods!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We have wild blueberries in the high country. We can get there on our quads, but I usually only pick a few to eat out of hand. - Margy

      Delete
  5. This is very much fun! Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  6. OH the treat of going out on the deck to pick blueberries. I'll be watching for reports of how they are doing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love blueberries! Just hope the birds and critters leave us some. - Margy

      Delete
  7. I love blueberries and it is getting more difficult to find blueberry pie. I hope you are successful, I'll be watching your progress.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Our stores often have blueberry pies. Another reason you should come to visit Powell River. - Margy

      Delete
  8. I love that idea - I have a lot of extra pots and a sidewalk down the sunny side of the house I can put them. Our Canadian tire is just in the process of moving next weekend so waiting until then to buy my plants as they do have the very best ones. The tomato plants I bought last year there went absolutely crazy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am going today. They said the big order was coming at the end of last week. Hope it didn't all sell out while we were up the lake. - Margy

      Delete

We welcome your comments and questions. - Wayne and Margy