Sunday, August 15, 2010

Garden Goodies

I’ve been a bit disappointed in my floating garden this year. I’m not sure why. I augmented the soil last spring and rotated my plantings as best I could. Many seeds never sprouted, and replanting didn’t fare much better. Part of the problem may have been the weather. We had a long cold wet spring that ran into a hot dry summer. And one end of my garden float has sunk down to water level, so it doesn’t drain as well.

But my plants in pots have been doing quite well. My Snow Peas just finished. I’m letting a few pods dry on the vine to save for seed. Now the Scarlet Runner beans are coming in to take their place. I chose that variety because the red flowers are an attractant for hummingbirds.

My green and banana peppers are starting to come in now. I tried pickling some of the banana variety, so stay tuned. I love them on sandwiches. I’ve also picked several cucumbers. After two dead starts, the Marketmore variety has been a success. The fruit is firm and sweet, just perfect for a salad.

Speaking of salad, my lettuce has grown into “trees” so it had to come out. It's was much sooner than last year. And my tomatoes are coming in later. Now if only I could get everything to coincide, I could make a complete garden salad. Maybe next year! -- Margy

7 comments:

  1. You did better than me on the cucumber front, mine didn't grow beyond seedling stage. This year I grew the 'cut and come again' lettuce leaves and they have been great. Mind you, I know what you mean about everything growing at different times.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful post. I've had a bad time with veggies here. I hope for better next year!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi there! Stopping by to send a kiss! :o)

    Hope your garden shows all its power next harvest time!

    Take good care, sweetie.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You have peppers, lucky you. My peppers and eggplants did not set one fruit this year. Last year they were in the greenhouse and I had so many, I'll have to plan accordingly next year.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fran - My lettuce was something like cut and come again until I had to reach above my head to get to the leaves. But by then they were too bitter to eat.

    Sounds like we all have had successes and failures at the same time. Each year I have a shining star in the garden that's different from the year before. Who knows why.

    Margy

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous9:41 PM

    Hi. I enjoy your blog. My mom used to grow those banana peppers and pickle them. I loved them when I was a kid, but haven't had them for many years. Grizzly. www.bellacoolablog.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Grizzly - I checked out your blog about Bella Coola, way up the coast. I will have a post with a recipe for the bean and pepper pickles I made so please stop back by and let me know what you think. - Margy

    ReplyDelete

We welcome your comments and questions. - Wayne and Margy