Sunday, December 02, 2007

Woodstove Cooking: Baking Powder Biscuits

When I am making soup or chili for dinner on my wood stove, I like to make a quick bread to go with it. This recipe for baking powder biscuits comes from my trusty Fannie Farmer Cookbook. The following is a half-size recipe so I can fit it all on one pan in my my small stovetop oven.

Baking Powder Biscuits
1 cup flour
¼ teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons baking powder
½ tablespoon sugar
¼ cup margarine softened
½ cup milk

Mix the flour, salt, baking powder and sugar in a bowl. Cut the margarine into the dry ingredients with a pastry cutter, knives or fork until it is like a coarse meal. Add the milk and stir until blended. For an extra taste treat, you can add ¼ cup of grated cheese to the batter before baking. Drop the biscuits on a greased pan and bake 15-20 minutes in a conventional oven at 425 degrees or until brown. In my stovetop oven, it takes a little longer for the biscuits to bake. To get them crispy and golden on both sides, I flip the biscuits half way through the baking process.

Do you do stovetop baking? I would love to share recipes with you. -- Margy

6 comments:

  1. A big thank you to Betty in Bellingham for finding the mistake in my recipe. You are right Betty, 4 cups of salt would have made some really salty biscuits!! -- Margy

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am REALLY enjoying reading your recipes! Would you mind if I copied them so I can use them when we make our big move to the mountains! Thanks!
    Marcy <><

    ReplyDelete
  3. Of course, that is why I posted them. Most of my recipes I have gotten from my favourite Fannie Farmer cookbook, but have cut them in half for stovetop cooking. If you need a good general cookbook I highly recommend this one. It comes in paperback and costs less than $10.00 US or Canadian. Which mountains are you moving to? Sounds exciting.

    ReplyDelete
  4. We bought land in the Sangre de Cristo mountains in south central Colorado... near Mt. Blanca. We're planning to live off the grid - in a camper while we build. Because I'm not sure what kind of heat or cook stove we'll have, I'd like to be prepared! I'm really enjoying reading your blog! I've started one of my own... but mine is more of a pre-pre construction kind of thing.
    Thanks again!
    Marcy <><

    ReplyDelete
  5. Marcy -

    I checked out your blog and the link to www.coyotecottage.com. I'll take some more time to read both. I am always looking for ideas. It will be exciting building your own place. We were luck we found ours ready to go. We wouldn't know where to start. We are real cityfolk just learning about off-the-grid. If I can help you in any way, you can contact me via e-mail at drmargy@shaw.ca.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I just found your blog in the weridest way. I was searching the internet for some of my old pictures and here was your recipie for baking powder biscuits on a stovetop! Now I read your topics and see I have a lot of expoloring to do here. Great blog.

    ReplyDelete

We welcome your comments and questions. - Wayne and Margy