Sunday, April 10, 2016

Cabin Cooking: Coffee Liqueur

Vodka is a versatile liquor because it is pretty much odourless and tasteless on its own.

The last thing I made with my 750 ml bottle was coffee liqueur, also known in its expensive form as Kahlua.

Coffee Liqueur

Ingredients:

2 1/2 cups pure cane sugar
3 tablespoons instant coffee
1 tablespoon pure vanilla extract
4 cups of filtered water
2 1/2 cups brand name vodka

Directions:

Combine water, sugar and instant coffee in a pan and bring to a boil, stirring often.

Reduce to low simmer for 1.5 hours (this will reduce the amount by half)

Cool the liquid.

Once completely cool, stir in the vodka and vanilla.

Store in a sterilized bottle with a lid (I put mine back in the vodka bottle)

The coffee liqueur should last for a year in a cool, dry cabinet.

There was a little too much to fit in my bottle, so I was forced to drink it. I added ice and cream to make a Black Russian.

Boy was it good to sip on a cool winter evening in front of the roaring fire in the woodstove.



I've also enjoyed it over a tall glass of ice filled halfway with cooled coffee and cream stirred in. Do you drink coffee liqueur? What's your favourite way? -- Margy

6 comments:

  1. Oh, my, this liqueur sounds so tasty and inviting, thank you for sharing its recipe with us, darling friend !

    Hope you're enjoying your Sunday I wish you most wonderful days to come, sweetie,
    sending love to you

    Dany

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I enjoy a glass half filled with cold coffee, a generous dollop of liqueur and then cream mixed in. - Margy

      Delete
  2. Looks easy to make.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The hardest part is waiting for the sugar liquid to cool. - Margy

      Delete
  3. One of the essentials for a well stocked winter pantry.

    ReplyDelete

We welcome your comments and questions. - Wayne and Margy