Tuesday, April 14, 2015

RESCUE! W.H.Y Wasp Trap

The RESCUE! W.H.Y Trap is designed to attract and trap Wasps (W), Hornets (H) and Yellowjackets (Y). Last year we had three wasp nests at the cabin. One was easily dealt with because it was exposed. The other two were more problematic because they were hidden in the wall and under the deck, so we had to tiptoe lightly every time we went around the back of the cabin.

This year I decided to take a proactive rather than reactive stance. I got a W.H.Y trap at Canadian Tire because it advertised that it used a special liquid attractant that could entice early emerging queens to enter the trap. And to top it off, I got it free with my Canadian Tire Money. That took a lot of "sting" out of my purchase.

The trap is “baited” with the liquid attractant in three spots, on the bottom in a felt pad, on the top in a small vial, and in the main chamber in a cup of water.

The sturdy plastic trap is designed to last for years, and refill packages are available. That’s the good news. The bad news is that the attractant only lasts for two week and refills cost about $5.00 each. But if I can prevent a nest under our float deck or in the cabin wall it’s well worth it.

I put the trap up on March 15. We are having early spring weather, so I don’t want to miss the queens. If they start nest building, I could be trying to catch workers all summer long. And that isn’t a pleasant thought! I’ve been stung before and it hurts like hell. Fortunately, I’m not allergic. For some people it’s deadly! -- Margy

10 comments:

  1. Thanks for the tip on this item, going on my shopping list.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I got mine free with Canadian Tire points. Below 2Tramps says you can get refills at Amazon. - Margy

      Delete
  2. We have used the Rescue traps for many years, at home and in the woods during hunting season. They really work well. In the late summer and fall we bait them with meat - the yellow jackets are storing up for winter then and get pretty nasty. You could use canned cat food, too. You can order Rescue loads on Amazon that last four weeks. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the tip. I'll check out Amazon. The refills at Canadian Tire are pretty expensive. I have another trip that recommends fruit juice, sugar and meat. I'm "fishing" for hornets so they also like meat. - Margy

      Delete
  3. What a great idea. Good luck with this. We've had so many bzzing insects here. They pick the darndest places, don't they?!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Last year we had three nests, one in the roof, one under the bow of the writer's retreat boat, and one under the float. The first two were fairly easy to eradicate. The last we had to learn to live with. - Margy

      Delete
  4. The wasps here were terrible last summer. I am so worried about my new puppy - he doesn't seem to understand not to chase bees and wasps lol.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Our last nest was under the float so we weren't able to spray it. We walked carefully around that area and made it through the season without a sting fortunately. - Margy

      Delete
    2. The easiest way to fight with wasp - http://stoppestinfo.com/142-an-ultimate-guide-to-getting-rid-of-yellow-jackets.html

      Delete
    3. Thanks for the great link. - Margy

      Delete

We welcome your comments and questions. - Wayne and Margy