Monday, May 12, 2014

Ready, Set, Grow

I've been up at the cabin for almost a week, and it's been a very productive one. The weather has been sunny and warm, interspersed with light rain. Perfect for starting my gardening for the year.


A month ago, I worked up my float garden soil and dug in steer manure to replenish some of the nutrients that were washed away during the heavy winter rains.


I planted all four beds with lots of veggies we like to eat: spinach, ruby chard, curly kale, lettuce, beets, and onions.


This year I am skipping strawberries. They take up too much space and haven't produced well lately. Time to give the soil a rest and change.

Everything is ready and set to grow. I can hardly wait for my first June harvest of baby greens.


Are you gardening? What are your favourite things to grow? -- Margy

p.s. Thanks Susan for highlighting my floating garden on your blog last week. It was fun to share with your readers.

7 comments:

  1. Your gardens are looking really neat. I am on leave this week, so working on the allotment. My favourite veggies are beetroot, runner beans, dwarf curly kale and tomatoes, oh and lots of garlic. I have just had lots of top soil delivered to top up all my beds, which were also drained by the rain xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm not a gardener - but it looks delightful! What is that little house on top of the pole? Is it for birds? What kinds would you expect to see?

    ReplyDelete
  3. You always have such a wonderful garden!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous11:51 AM

    the float garden looks great. I've been planting too ... kale was planted on May 9 and by May 13 the tiny shoots were all showing. This is a first time for growing kale, hoping it does well. I've also planted tomatoes, potatoes, peas, and beans.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looking forward to seeing it in full bloom. I planted Swiss chard, romaine lettuce, kale, sunflowers.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Such calming photos. I am growing only potatoes this year - in a giant pot on the deck. I have most of my flowers in - got a snowball bush and 2 white lilac bushes - and geraniums of course. Ahhh spring and summer in the Pacific Northwest.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Fran - I envy all the soil in your allotment. Are you doing any container gardening on the barge?

    mick - Yes, it's a birdhouse for tree swallows. They return every spring and help us eliminate mosquitoes.

    JoAnn - Flowers are such a great thing to have in the garden. I sure miss my daffodils. My geraniums have a long way to grow.

    Looks like a lot of people are enjoying chard and kale. I used to only plant spinach and lettuce, but love the staying power of chard and kale.

    Margy

    ReplyDelete

We welcome your comments and questions. - Wayne and Margy