Friday, April 29, 2011

Cabin Cooking: Sourdough Sopapillas

When I got home one of the first things I did was feed my sourdough starter. It’s about three years old and I want to keep it thriving. In the morning, I had too much to put back in the jar so I looked in my Sourdough Cookery book and found a recipe for Sopapillas. They sounded like a good breakfast for one.

Sourdough Sopapillas

1 cup sourdough starter
1 cup flour
¾ teaspoon salt
1 ½ teaspoons baking powder
2 tablespoons shortening
cooking oil for frying

Measure starter into a bowl. Mix dry ingredients. Cut in shortening until it resembles cornmeal. Add starter to dry mixture and stir to moisten. Put on a lightly floured board and knead until smooth, add flour if necessary. Cover and let rest for 5 minutes. Roll out to ¼ inch thick and cut into small squares. Drop a few at a time in hot oil (400 degrees) and fry until golden brown on each side. Drain on paper towels. Sprinkle with cinnamon sugar or powdered sugar, or serve hot with honey.

Hope you didn’t count the sopapillas in my final picture. Several had to be “tasted” to make sure they were coming out OK! Then I sat down for my breakfast treats with a cup of woodstove-perked coffee.

I really liked this recipe because I didn’t have to wait for the dough to rise. Also, I cut it in half. After all, sopapillas are best warm right out of the frypan!

Do you have any favourite sourdough recipes? -- Margy

7 comments:

  1. Oh, Margy, I haven't heard of sopapillas since my parents lived in Mexico. Wonderful.
    I'm going to see if I can track down Mom's recipe for chili relleno casserole. It isn't a sourdough recipe in the least, but you might like it, because you like cooking. (I just love sourdough bread, but if I were to bake it, I'd eat it, and I don't need that. LOL.)
    — K

    Kay, Alberta, Canada
    An Unfittie's Guide to Adventurous Travel

    ReplyDelete
  2. this is the first time I've ever heard of sopapillas, they look wonderful. Nice breakfast.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yum, yum, yum! I've had sopapillas at restaurants, but it never would have occurred to me to try to make them. I LOVED my dad's sourdough pancakes, but I myself have never made sourdough anything. My sister has some starter she keeps saying she'll share!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks everyone for stopping by.

    Kay, I look forward to that recipe. I love chili rellenos and a casserole sounds an easy way to do it.

    Lizziviggi, there are also recipes without sourdough. Since I had some to use up, I picked that one. But if you get some starter, you might have fun with it for other things as well.

    Margy

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sylvie Wheatley12:38 PM

    Hi Margy, we've not met yet but we are your neighbours, Sylvie and Bob Wheatley, at what used to be a red-roofed cabin on the mainland next to Brian and Christine.We had Justin Behan install a new silver roof. We've been enjoying reading your posts from up the lake on occasion. Regretably we are only up the lake two weeks each year, usually the last week of July, 1st week of August. Bob is a scuba diver so if you ever need something on an emergent basis, just come around and find us. On your soughdough baking, I just love twisting them into pretzel shapes after rolling them out into fingersized rolls of dough.Sprinkle on a bit of sea salt, place in oven and cook until golden. I can't put my finger on recipe right now but will keep looking. My mom and I have been trying to find a good sourdough starter recipe. Hope to meet you this summer, Margy. Best wishes,
    Sylvie Wheatley

    ReplyDelete
  6. We need to get a sourdough starter going here again. Your sopapillas lookd delicious and your coffee sounds great. Doesn't everthing taste better when you are in such a special place?!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Sylvia - I'll keep an eye out for you. Wayne is at the cabin more often than I am now that I am taking care of my mother, But I will be up there several times in July for sure. Hope to meet you if it works out. - Margy

    2 Tramps - My starter isn't fancy and I cheat with yeast if it gets a bit weak if I've been gone for some time. Yes, things do taste better up the lake. And cooking is more fun too.

    Margy

    ReplyDelete

We welcome your comments and questions. - Wayne and Margy