Saturday, April 23, 2011

Atchison, Topeka and Chuckanut Bay

Now what do trains and boats have in common? If you anchor overnight in Chuckanut Bay you'll know. When we went there in the afternoon, it peaked our curiosity. So for our final night on our shakedown cruise, Wayne and I picked the trestle in Chuckanut to drop our anchor.

Before going, Wayne looked up the Amtrac passenger train schedule. You may like to know, both trains were right on time. In addition, there were several freight trains. It was so much fun to wave at the engineers and have they toot the horn as they passed by.

But the 1:30 a.m. freight train gave me quite a start. It woke me as it exited the tunnel to the north. It's bright light made me briefly think we'd dragged anchor and were on the tracks. A quick look proved we were in place, but in the dark, the rattling cars seemed so much closer.

Brightly covered with graffiti, the many cars were heading north to Canada to get another load of natural resources and products, the North American Free Trade Agreement (NAFTA) is action.

The shakedown cruise and good weather came to an end the following morning, waking up to pelting rain and increased winds. We pulled anchor at dawn and returned to nearby Squalicum Harbor. We had lots of fun and hope you did too.

Are you a Pacific Northwest boater? Where are some of your favourite destinations? -- Margy

4 comments:

  1. Great photos! I love them!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Easy question! Desolation Sound!
    That takes care of the question. Now - I love this post, Margy, because I love boats and trains. And your title is just wonderful.
    Those same tracks and freight trains pass through my home town, White Rock, BC, so I know the sound and can imagine what it would be like, up-close and personal, while you're sleeping. However, a little farther away than anchorage under the trestle, I found the sound somehow soothing when I heard it from a warm and cozy bed.
    -- K

    Kay, Alberta, Canada
    An Unfittie's Guide to Adventurous Travel

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for stopping by Jenn.

    Kay - I just couldn't pass up the pun. - Margy

    ReplyDelete
  4. CWB Webmaster1:11 PM

    Hello. I am writing on behalf of Communitywise Bellingham. (www.communitywisebellingham.org.)

    We just updated our website yesterday and the image of the engine crossing the tracks was used on the homepage without getting prior approval. I apologize for the mistake.

    I am writing to inquire about how we may get permission to use this terrific image. We would certainly pay an image rights fee if feasible.

    Please email me so we can discuss next steps: webmaster@communitywisebellingham.com

    ReplyDelete

We welcome your comments and questions. - Wayne and Margy