Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Save me a Seat at the Olympics

The 2010 Winter Olympics are coming to Vancouver, BC. I've shared this humorous sign before, but I think it is just too funny not to share again. Along Highway 101 just south of the Earl's Cove ferry terminal on the Sunshine Coast, there is a homemade sign with a unique Olympic announcement.

The author is obviously making reference to the cost of tickets. Most start at $50 and go up into the hundreds very quickly. Want to see the opening or closing ceremony? Those start at $175 and go up to over $1000 (a seat!). I can see why he chose this particular analogy. It may be the only seat at a reasonable price, even if you get through the whole process.

We tried to get tickets in the fall lottery, but no luck. The next opportunity for tickets is in June. Canadian sales are online or by phone. International sales are handled by agents authorized by the National Olympic Committee. Wayne and I still want to attend a few events. Hope they save us a "good" seat! -- Margy

8 comments:

  1. Hillarious! and very professionally done sign.
    Amazing about the tix prices. It's kind of weird to be so close and still only watch it on TV. During the LA summer games, I went back to Yugoslavia to visit my grandmother. I heard the traffic was better than ever, since everyone got out of Dodge.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, it will be funny if we can't get tickets, at least ones that we can afford. We plan to stay in Bellingham at our condo and just drive over for the day since lodging might be a bit tight. I'm sure border crossing will be crazy since there are only a few spots to get across. - Margy

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a fantastic sign! It seems so easy to make one, but you have to come up with the idea first.
    Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. How long has that sign been there? Because I was there last November and didn't notice it.

    I'm staying home and watching the whole thing from my couch - that should be the best seat in the house! lol

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's a very witty sign! I inadvertently typed 'sitty' and so nearly left it in! LOL!

    On behalf of the team, thanks for taking part in ABC Wednesday this week! And also for making me laugh. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Leslie - We just drove down Highway 101 today and the sign is still there. It went up last year at the same time they announced the cost of tickets. I took the picture in January 2008 and the sign has been there each time I have passed ever since. Today they had it moved parallel with the road so it was a little harder to see as you were passing by. At the same location there are several urinals nailed to the trees. Those are hard to miss. - Margy

    ReplyDelete
  7. That's a real classic but so true for many. I didn't even try to buy tickets, just can't afford them on my photographers budget.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm so sorry to report that the last time we were headed north to Powell River the sign was gone. I just hope they weren't forced to take it down. The Olympics themselves are great, but the politics are a bit much. - Margy

    ReplyDelete

We welcome your comments and questions. - Wayne and Margy