Wednesday, September 03, 2008

Strait of Georgia

The Strait of Georgia runs north from the Canadian border between the southern tip of Vancouver Island and the mainland. It flows past the beautiful Gulf Islands all the way north to the Discovery Islands near Campbell River. This section of water is a busy marine highway. Tugs pull heavy loads of containers, sawdust and logs. They travel day and night in all kinds (and I mean ALL kinds) of weather. From my condo in Powell River, I can watch all of the pleasure boats, tugs, cruise ships and fishing boats passing north and south. It's like a parade, day and night.


Logging has a long history in British Columbia. I found an interesting blog called Tim-Ber with an informative post on the history of log booming. Do you like historical pictures? Here is a link to the Library and Archives Canada with lots of old logging pictures.

You can also take a boating adventure on the Strait of Georgia in Wayne's book Up the Strait available online at www.PowellRiverBooks.com -- Margy

4 comments:

  1. I like your posting for ABC Wednesday G. I loved British Columbia the last time I was up there. You have a lot of great information and I enjoyed the Ramblers information. I will be back checking out you site in the future.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a Great GeoGaphy lesson for us on ABC Wednesday letter G.
    Your photos are Great.

    Bear((( )))

    ReplyDelete
  3. ABC Wednesday is almost like a travel log! Your post makes me want to visit British Columbia!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! So much to discover!

    ReplyDelete

We welcome your comments and questions. - Wayne and Margy