Thursday, April 19, 2007

Woodstove Cooking: Dutch Oven Apple Crisp

I’ve also baked Apple Crisp using my Dutch Oven. I put a wire rack in the bottom and place the baking pan inside. This way the crisp doesn’t burn while the Dutch Oven is directly on the stove’s hot surface. Hot rocks on the lid help with top browning.

Dutch Oven Apple Crisp

The ingredients and preparation for this Apple Crisp are simple for cabin or camp cooking.

4 Granny Smith or tart apples
2 tablespoons flour
½ cup granulated sugar
1 teaspoon cinnamon
½ teaspoon nutmeg

Core, peel and slice the apples. Mix apples, flour, sugar, cinnamon and nutmeg in a bowl. Place mixture in a greased 8” round cake pan that is at least 1” deep. I use a metal pan to better conduct the heat.

¼ cup softened margarine
½ cup flour
½ cup quick cooking oats
½ cup dark brown sugar
1 teaspoon cinnamon

Mix topping ingredients in a bowl until crumbly. I find fingers work best. Sprinkle over the apples. The pan will be very full, but the apples will cook down. Bake for 30 minutes at 350 degrees in a conventional oven or until the topping is browned and the apples are bubbling. In my Dutch Oven it takes about one hour. Watch, it may bubble over. It is great with ice cream (if available) or whipping cream (a cabin standby). -- Margy

2 comments:

  1. Mmmm, yummy.

    I just listed your blog. You can see the listing here. Thanks for your support.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Never found a recipe for apple crisp that I really loved cuz I loved loads of topping. I think you've done it! The bottom crust might just be the answer. Can't wait to give it a try. I'm thinking my work buddies are getting another treat this week.

    ReplyDelete

We welcome your comments and questions. - Wayne and Margy