Tuesday, March 26, 2019

Readying My Mason Bee Hotels

Last week I was a guest author about Mason Bees on Farmgal's Just Another Day on the Farm. You can read about it and find links to my previous Mason Bee posts by clicking here.

We just came home after two months away. In my recent post Back Up the Lake I speculated about what we might find.

One thing I was anxious to check was my Mason Bee nesting blocks.

Repainting the Mason Bee Hotels,
Mason Bees start emerging from their cocoons in March. It's a fun process to watch and I hoped I hadn't missed it. Even before I went inside the cabin, I looked at my Mason Bee winter storage box on the side porch. It's a cool spot that only gets a wee bit of sunshine. All was quiet.

I took the opportunity to refurbish my two bee hotels.

The refurbished Bee Hotels with their nesting tubes.

Nesting blocks filled with cocoons.
They haven't had any maintenance since they were repurposed from old birdhouses and attached to a south-facing post on our front porch. The fresh paint not only made them look better, but helped preserve their fiberboard construction for a few more years to come.

Wayne helped me moved the heavy winter storage box to a spot under the porch near the Bee Hotels. It will be protected from any spring showers, yet it will be close enough to the hotels for nesting.

Commercial Mason Bee nesting tubes.
My drilled wood nesting blocks are all full of cocoons. I needed something quick and easy to use for the emerging bees. I chose Milliard cardboard Mason Bee nesting tubes. I prefer the homemade wood ones because they are safe to be left outdoors in a protected spot. Mice love to chew cardboard tubes, so they have to be stored either indoors (in a cool spot) or in a protective container outdoors.


Now the full nesting blocks and the refurbished Mason Bee hotels are on the south facing side of our front porch. The recent warm weather and sun are sure to give them the clue that it's time to emerge.

Do you have nesting places for native bees. It's fun and easy. Here's an online resource to use to get started. Also, plant pollinator friendly flowers in your garden. Bees need all the help we can give them. -- Margy

26 comments:

  1. What an interesting thing to do!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love nature and gardening. Makes a good mix. - Margy

      Delete
  2. I've never heard of Mason Bees! and especially not Bee Hotels! Thanks for my lesson of the day!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are welcome. It's the old teacher in me I guess. - Margy

      Delete
  3. I won a bee hotel in a raffle a couple years ago. No bees took advantage of it but that's okay because we get a lot of bees visiting the abundance of flowers in our front and back yards.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are popular lately. You can purchase cocoons and start bees in your area. Mine started with just two native bees and have grown since. - Margy

      Delete
  4. Someone was selling bee hotels on the Art Trail. They looked so CUTE! Have a fabulous week and thankyou for visiting my blog this week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They do make a cute garden decoration, one that is functional as well. - Margy

      Delete
  5. I'm so happy to see you are helping to support the bees! I never heard of a bee hotel before--it's a great idea. I try to plant many flowers that they love to visit--my Russian Sage and lavender plants are favorites.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A bee hotel only works for solitary kinds of bees and some small wasps. Each likes a different size tube. - Margy

      Delete
  6. That is fascinating! Thanks so much for sharing.

    -Soma

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome. It has been an interesting learning experience after I found my first two bees. - Margy

      Delete
  7. Like Soma, I found this fascinating. I love the idea of bee homes and all the help I can do for them. THanks for that link. We do have a bee and butterfly friendly garden but that won't be in bloom any time soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have a few things ready for the bees even if it is early. I left my old broccoli and kale to go to seed, my rosemary is in bloom and so are the daffodils. The bumblebees love those. - Margy

      Delete
  8. The mason bee houses are really neat. Such a lovely touch for your deck. I don't even know if we have them around here. I should research and find out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you don't and want to get started, check local nurseries. Many sell cocoons and supplies. - Margy

      Delete
  9. Replies
    1. Thanks. I always enjoy your photos. - Margy

      Delete
  10. Replies
    1. They are so much fun to watch buzzing and out of their tubes. I'm amazed they can enter such a small hole at full tilt. - Margy

      Delete
  11. What a great post for M and photos too! Love the 'bird like' houses

    Happy Days to you,
    A ShutterBug Explores,
    aka (A Creative Harbor)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nothing like repurposing something that would otherwise get tossed. - Margy

      Delete
  12. Hello, the bee hotels are such a great idea. I have been thinking about making one myself. Thanks for sharing. Enjoy your day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The good thing is you can do it for little or now money, and still help the bees. - Margy

      Delete
  13. I need to remake my bug houses and hotels. I love the idea of a bee hotel and have an old birdhouse that can be converted.

    ReplyDelete
  14. How interesting! We have been thinking to build something...

    ReplyDelete

We welcome your comments and questions. - Wayne and Margy