Monday, June 03, 2019

"Becoming Wild" by Nikki Van Schyndel

http://www.amazon.com/Becoming-Wild-Living-Primitive-Island-ebook/dp/B00NQDK6RU/ref=tmm_kin_swatch_0?_encoding=UTF8&sr=8-1&qid=1433016598
When I learned an author I've read was going to be on the History Channel Alone: The Arctic TV series, I went to my personal library and got her book out for a second read.

The book is Becoming Wild and the author is Nikki Van Schyndel (Caitlin Press, 2014). I knew it would be a book I would enjoy and wasn't disappointed either time. It's a memoir, it's by a woman who challenged herself to live in a remote location, it's about a region fairly close to where I live in Coastal BC, and includes detailed descriptions of "experiments" and "learnings from Coastal First Nations people" she used to survive.

Nikki, Micah (a man she met during survival school), and her feral cat Scout planned and lived a survivalist lifestyle that spanned two island locations and more than a year in the coastal rainforest of the Broughton Archipelago. When a dilapidated trailer at Native Anchorage on Village Island turn out to be uninhabitable, they erected their own primitive shelter. It was a struggle to find enough food that first winter.

A typical Coastal BC rocky shoreline.

Nikki and Micah had a rowboat they used for transportation, fishing, and to get to Echo Bay on Gilford Island once every month or two to get mail and reconnect with family by phone. After meeting Billy Proctor, a well know resident, they took his suggestion and left Native Anchorage to set up a rustic cabin structure in Booker Lagoon on Broughton Island. Life wasn't easy, but Nikki was able absorb the natural spirituality of the land and sea, ultimately transforming herself into a better person.

Coastal BC has lots of private places to explore.

When the adventure was done, Nikki and Micah parted ways. Nikki and Scout returned to the city, but life there was so foreign after living in nature. She returned to remote Echo Bay, bought property from Billy Proctor and built a log cabin of her own. Billy is a prominent figure in many of the books written about the region such as Full Moon, Flood Tide by Bill Proctor and Yvonne Maximchuk and Heart of the Raincoast by Alexandra Morton and Bill Proctor.

Becoming Wild is available in both print and e-book formats at Amazon and other online booksellers.

For your information, Season 6 of Alone: The Arctic on the History Channel premiers on June 6. Nikki, another Canadian woman named Michelle Wohlberg, and eight other contestants will test their solo survival skills near Great Slave Lake in Canada's Northwest Territories.


You can see more of the The Arctic trailers on YouTube by clicking here. Then check your local television listing to watch it live. Click here for Canadian History Channel information and here for the States.

Also check out her website The Magic, Master and Madness of Wilderness Living where she uses the moniker Daisy Crockett and her YouTube Channel Becoming Wild.

Do you have any off-the-grid or women's survival memoirs to recommend? I'm always looking for a good read. -- Margy

20 comments:

  1. Thanks so much for stopping by and for taking the time to comment!!
    Hugs,
    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are welcome. Thanks for the extensive list of blog hops and link parties. That's amazing. - Margy

      Delete
  2. Wow! I can't even imagine living life as a survivalist. The author should do well on the TV show. I admire people who go after their dreams. Thank you for the links. Here's her website:https://www.daisycrocket.com/blog/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She's amazing. Thanks for the blog link. I'll add that to my post. - Margy

      Delete
  3. I just cannot imagine.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'd love to do this. I think.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I enjoy living off the grid, but not in a survival mode. Yet, I do like to watch the shows and learn techniques from them. - Margy

      Delete
  5. Wow, what a story! I don't think my Scout would have survived living that rough. Then again she's a pampered dog and not a feral cat.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Having had cats, it's hard to imagine one sticking around. But I guess getting fed in a strange environment it was encourage to stay with its human friend. - Margy

      Delete
  6. Fascinating! I love the feral cat being a part of the adventure.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm amazed it stuck around. Feral cats can be very skitterish. - Margy

      Delete
  7. Such an interesting review, and so nicely illustrated. I just set my TV to record the "Alone" series. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've enjoyed the first five seasons and this new one will have a stronger attraction for me with an author I've read participating. - Margy

      Delete
  8. I'll have to tell my niece about the series. She loves survivalist stories. Me? Not so much. I'm a city kid, born and bred. Abandon me in a museum, but don't leave me alone in the wild! I wouldn't survive.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was born and bred in the city as well, but my parents took me camping each summer. They were both teachers so it was an inexpensive way to travel and see the US and Canada. And I got lots of experience outdoors. That helped prepare me for off-the-grid living in a float cabin. - Margy

      Delete
  9. Some people live such exciting, adventurous lives. An inspiration.
    Amalia
    xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She is way more adventurous than I am. Have to admire anyone who can live alone in the wilderness and film it as it is happening. - Margy

      Delete
  10. I would love to read this book. Have your read Grandma Gatewood's walk? It is really good and I know you love to walk too! Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the recommendation. I looked it up and it's an inspiring story. I couldn't have done that at 20 let alone after 65. - Margy

      Delete

We welcome your comments and questions. - Wayne and Margy