Wednesday, February 26, 2014

Preserving: Growing Garlic in Containers

I've grown garlic for two years. I don't have much space in my float garden, so I grow garlic in puts. I don't need much to last me for a year, so three small containers are more than enough.

Garlic takes very little attention. Plant cloves with the growth point up, water, feed periodically, dig, dry, and enjoy.

I purchase my garlic sets at the nursery. One small bag goes a long way because you pull the cloves apart and plant each one separately. Ideally, you plant the closes seven inches apart for lots of growth room. As you can see, I use smaller spacing in the pots. The bulbs don't grow as big, but are plenty large for cooking.

 When the tops start to brown, wilt, and fall over, it's time to pull the bulbs out of the soil. If the weather is dry, I leave them on the surface to dry. After the surface of the bulbs have dried, I brush off as much of the dirt as possible, tie the tops of half a dozen together, and hang them in a protected spot outdoors.

This starts the preserving process. I leave them outdoors until the skin on the bulbs is dry and flaky. I trim the tops shorter and hang the bundles in the cabin's storage room. By this time there's no odour, and they're handy to grab for cooking.

If you live in an apartment with a balcony, or a home with limited garden space, you can still grow garlic and have plenty left over to share with friends and family. -- Margy

14 comments:

  1. I love garlic, the only disadvantage is, it doesn't smell like roses when you have eaten them ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous10:49 AM

    This is a great idea Margy. I grow most of my veggies in large containers even though we have lots of garden space. I'm not a garlic fan but should grow the odd bit this year just to try it out.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fresh garlic IS better!
    ROG, ABC Wednesday team

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous11:52 AM

    In the past few years I've used garlic more in cooking, and I love the flavor it brings. Thanks for sharing the process. Don't have a green thumb, but this is within my reach I hope:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I put garlic in almost everything; it's so goooood! I've never grown it myself, but it looks simple enough.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a great idea! I always buy my garlic from Trader Joe's. It comes peeled and ready to use. Enjoy your floating garden!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great idea and thanks for sharing the tips on growing them. I love garlic!

    ReplyDelete
  8. That would be great to grow your own garlic and in pots it'd be great. But garlic is poisonous to dogs and I just know Tegan would be into it all. :(

    Leslie
    abcw team

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for the tip. Haven't grown it in the garden, but maybe I'll try it in a container.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks for the tip. Haven't grown it in the garden, but maybe I'll try it in a container.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I use a lot of garlic and have managed to be self sufficient for the last couple of years by growing it myself. The taste is so much better xxx

    ReplyDelete
  12. I use lots of garlic when I cook, I love them! Never thought of growing my own ones, that's a good idea. Great tips.

    Kisses from us!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Ah, I so miss gardening. I didn't know that's a preserving process to garlic. I've learned so much today. Thanks for the visit on my blog, Margy!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thanks everyone for stopping by my ABC Wednesday post and taking the time to comment. It means a lot to me, and I really enjoy hearing all your views and tips. - Margy

    ReplyDelete

We welcome your comments and questions. - Wayne and Margy