Monday, May 16, 2011

Growing Rhubarb in Deck Pots

Last spring I planted a rhubarb bare root in a medium sized pot on my deck. It's a deep pot to allow for root growth and to help insulate them during the winter. Even so, I wasn't sure it would work.

Rhubarb is a long-lived perennial plant. The directions said to not to cut any stalks the first year to allow the roots to get established. I cheated a bit and took a few to make a pie. Looks like I dodged a bullet.

I would say this is a pretty good start for year two. The pot is in full sun and catches the rain. Plus, it's in a location for easy watering with a can of lake water.

My good friend Margaret from Powell River also posted about rhubarb this week. Head on over to her blog Thistle Garden to see how easy it is to freeze extra rhubarb. Plus, she has a handy tip for using the leaves (they are poisonous) to cut down on garden weeds.

Do you grow rhubarb? What are some of your favourite recipes? -- Margy

5 comments:

  1. When we got the dog, and discovered she loves vegetation, I insisted we kill our two rhubarb patches. Easier said than done. One was easily covered with a cement slab from the building supply store, but the other plant is growing out from under its slab.
    Fortunately, Lindy doesn't seem interested in eating the poisonous rhubarb leaves.
    — K

    Kay, Alberta, Canada
    An Unfittie's Guide to Adventurous Travel

    ReplyDelete
  2. I didn't cut any stalks the first year I put in my rhubarb and once they are established they are almost impossible to kill as Kay said above. In addition to mulch you can make rhubard leaf tea as a natural pesticide, just boil some water, add a rhubarb leaf or two, strain into a spray bottle and use on your plants, very good on aphids...but remember DO NOT DRINK the TEA.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great work, Margy. The rhubarb looks great. We make strawberry rhubarb crisp that is really good. My favorite is stewed, poured warm over really good vanilla ice cream. That's how my grandmother always prepared it for us every summer. Sure brings back fond memories. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Our rhubarb is planted behind the shop so I hadn't checked it out lately. Took a quick look and it is really growing - about two feet tall. Two plants cover an 8 x 4 foot area solid. We divided one plant into two over a year ago. Have had the same plant for many years and moved it here from the valley - it is like family! Besides the usual pie or crisp, we have made muffins, jam and wine from it. This year I am going to try too make a chutney.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks all for the rhubarb tips and tricks. At least in my pot it shouldn't get out of hand. - Margy

    ReplyDelete

We welcome your comments and questions. - Wayne and Margy