Friday, January 17, 2014

Cabin Baking: Cheddar Cheese Sourdough Biscuits

I refreshed my sourdough starter and decided to try a new recipe, Cheddar Cheese Sourdough Biscuits. These biscuits combine sourdough starter, baking powder, and baking soda as leavening agents.  The result is denser than biscuits made only with baking powder, but the tang of the sourdough makes them a tasty treat with a soup, salad, or chili dinner.

I found this recipe in my favourite sourdough recipe book, Sourdough Cookery by Rita Davenport.

Cheddar Cheese Sourdough Biscuits

1 cup wheat flour
2 1/2 teaspoons making powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon sugar
1 teaspoon herbs
1 tablespoon dried minced onion
1/4 cup margarine

Mix dry ingredients. Cut in margarine until the mixture looks like fine crumbs.

1 cup sourdough starter
Extra milk as needed

Stir in starter. Add milk (if needed) until dough leaves the side of bowl (it will be sticky)

Stir in 1/2 cup grated cheddar cheese.

Drop biscuits by the spoonful onto an ungreased cookie sheet. Let rise for 15 minutes in a warm place. Bake at 350 degrees for 20-30 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from pan quickly. Serve warm with butter.

Do you have any favourite sourdough recipes you would like to share? -- Margy

6 comments:

  1. Anonymous12:20 PM

    This looks so good Margy. My Dad used to make cheese biscuits/scones a lot ... do delicious when they are warm with butter on them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh that looks so good. Thanks for the recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  3. They look yummy! I must look for a gluten free recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm sure these are delicious. Oh how I wish I could bake.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You are clever, creative, inspiring and talented. I so love the things you work at. Thank you for sharing.
    (ツ) from Cottage Country Ontario , ON!

    ReplyDelete
  6. These sound and look fantastic, I'll have to try them. I don't bake with sourdough, but it's never too late to start! I love cheesy biscuits:)

    ReplyDelete

We welcome your comments and questions. - Wayne and Margy