Saturday, September 06, 2008

When is One Carrot a Whole Bunch?

Each year I've planted carrots in my floating garden. They grow well and last into late fall for harvesting. They've even survived under a light snow. I plant my garden in late March or early April, after the threat of frost has passed. I start by augmenting my soil with mulch, peat moss and steer manure. I like to wait a few weeks between the soil work and seed planting, but this year the weather didn't cooperate. I only had one week of resting before the seeds went in the ground.

Much to my surprise, when my carrots came up they were "fanged." I later learned that fresh manure is one of the main causes for fanged carrots. Another cause is rocky soil, but I don't have that problem. Fanged carrots have the root split into two or more segments. As you can see from my picture, my carrots trended towards the "more" side of the equation. Fortunately, it didn't affect the taste or texture of the carrot(s). They are fine for eating once they are trimmed up. However, they would not be good for storing. Lesson learned (the hard way). Next year I will know not to put fresh manure in my carrot bed! -- Margy

4 comments:

  1. Anonymous9:43 AM

    Very interesting carrots. How did your potatos in the barrel do?
    Charlie finely brought in three zucks that the critters didn't run off with.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous6:51 PM

    Interesting. I'll have to remember this lesson in case we actually get our carrots planted next year! lol

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous5:22 PM

    Hi! I just have to say I love your blog! I recently stumbled onto it after I started up my own blog. artzyfartzylife.blogspot.com I have decided once I have a place to start my own floating garden that I am going to try it out!!! Huge fan!
    ~ Lauren

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you all for all your kind comments.

    Yes, byrningbunny, it was an interesting lesson to learn. Hope I saved you from a scary experience.

    Welcome to blogging artzy. I popped over to your blog and will take some more time to check it out.

    And my good friend Betty, I am so glad that Charlie finally got a zucchini away from the critters. We just caught our third woodrat in our live trap. All three are now relocated to nearby Goat Island. Now maybe my tomatoes can get a rest. I'll show you the potatoes in my next post, probably tomorrow night. Thanks for asking.

    ReplyDelete

We welcome your comments and questions. - Wayne and Margy