I like to work on crafts while I'm at the cabin. I just finished a latch hook rug using yarn. It's hard to find pre-cut rug yarn, but it is available online from Herrschners for Canadian and US customers. You can sometimes find canvas and latch hooks in craft stores.
There are kits available, but I like to create a design of my own. My most recent rug was of my favourite place on earth, my cabin. Here's how I made my latch hook yarn rug.
- I cut the canvas mesh to size with a little extra for a hem. Mesh comes in two sizes, 3.75 and 5 holes per inch. I use the 3.75. At four rows per inch, each yarn package will cover a section of about three by five inches.
- Be sure to order enough yarn because it comes in die lots. Each package contains 320 strands of machine-washable acrylic yarn that is pre-cut to 6cm (2-1/2") long.
- Using a black permanent marker, I drew my design on the canvas. Don't worry, it doesn't show through.
- I like to work my designs by section. That way I can see how it is developing.
- Within a section, for example the trees, I count squares to create the detail. That's easier than drawing the detail on the canvas mesh.
- As the design grew, I did go back and make some changes. For example, I didn't like the way the water looked, so I took it out and reworked it with a different colour.
- I trimmed the edges of the canvas to one inch, turned it back and hand stitched one-inch binding tape over the edges.