Monday, February 12, 2007

Woodstove Cooking: Cabin Carrot Cake

Here is another version of my wood stovetop Cabin Cake. I have a small floating garden at my cabin (keeps critters away) and one of my crops is carrots. The picture to the left is from early summer. Believe it or not, this year’s crop lasted until February with this final bountiful picking of carrots. When carrots are this plentiful, I substitute carrots for apples in my Cabin Cake recipe and top it with cream cheese frosting. Yum!!

Cabin Carrot Cake

¼ cup raisins
¾ cup grated carrots
2 tablespoons margarine
1 teaspoon cinnamon
½ teaspoon ginger
½ teaspoon cloves or allspice
1 cup dark brown sugar
1 cup water

Heat ingredients together in a pan until melted and the raisins plump. Cool slightly.

1 ½ cups flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
½ teaspoon salt
½ cup chopped pecans (or walnuts) if desired

Mix dry ingredients in a bowl and add the wet mixture. Stir until blended. Add pecans (if desired). Pour into a greased and floured 8X4” loaf pan and bake for 25-30 minutes at 350 degrees in a conventional oven. In my wood stovetop oven it takes about one hour. When a toothpick comes out clean, it is done.

Cream Cheese Frosting

¼ cup butter (or margarine) softened
4 oz. cream cheese softened
½ teaspoon vanilla
1 cup powdered sugar

Blend butter and cream cheese. Add powdered sugar and whip by hand until smooth. Mix in vanilla. There is more than enough frosting, but Wayne never complains. – Margy

2 comments:

  1. This one looks good too. Guess I'm going to have to get busy experimenting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love experimenting with my woodstove and cabin cooking. - Margy

      Delete