Wednesday, January 24, 2007

Woodstove Cooking: Cabin Cake

Using a frying pan with hot rocks was successful for stovetop cornbread, but I wanted to do some baking that just wouldn’t work as well in such a small “oven.”

I found a Coleman Camp Oven, but the price was a little high. Then I found a wood stove version that got me thinking.

I found a toaster oven at the Hospital Auxiliary Thrift Store for $5.00 with a one week guarantee which I immediately voided by removing the plastic siding, stripping out the wiring and taking off the bottom drop-door. I place the stripped oven on top of my KOZI wood stove. The heat radiates up and is trapped in the oven compartment. I regulate the temperature by stoking the fire or letting it die down. It isn’t an exact science, but the price was right.

My first recipe was from The Fannie Farmer Cookbook. “War Cake” has ingredients that fit wartime rationing, and I needed one with no eggs. I made a few modifications and call it my Cabin Cake.

Stovetop Cabin Cake
¼ cup raisins
1 finely sliced and chopped apple
2 tablespoons margarine
1 teaspoon cinnamon
½ teaspoon ginger
½ teaspoon cloves or allspice
1 cup dark brown sugar
1 cup water

Heat ingredients together in a pan until melted and the raisins plump. Cool slightly.

1 ½ cups flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
½ teaspoon salt

Mix the dry ingredients in a bowl and then add the wet mixture. Stir until blended. Add ½ cup chopped pecans (or walnuts) if desired. Pour into a greased and floured 8X4” loaf pan and bake for 25-30 minutes at 350 degrees in a conventional oven.

In my wood stovetop oven it takes about one hour. When a toothpick comes out clean, it is done. I serve warm slices topped with whipping cream. A great winter treat! -- Margy

4 comments:

  1. looks like one to try... probably tastes a bit like my barm brack....but the apples added to raisins sounds really nice.... should be really moist... tx....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ingenious ! I wish I had thought of this great reuse, instead I bought a Coleman stove top oven.
    I'm having mixed results on my wood stove. Highest I can get my oven to go is 300. 50 degrees too low for bread & pie baking.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am pretty excited about this blog -- our place in the redwoods is off-grid,solar,gas generator, small propane tanks, pump water from the creek, etc. Our woodstove goes pretty much 24/7 in the winter as well, and I have been wondering about using the woodstove for cooking. (All I've ever tried was brewing spiced cider in a saucepan on top). I have done dutch oven cooking with charcoal in a campfire -- interested to try it in/on the woodstove! Your converted toaster oven is genius. I am going to start trolling thrift stores, too! Love it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you found the blog. Based on the redwoods I guessing you are in northern California or maybe southern Oregon. The climate there probably isn't much different from ours. If you have any questions, you can send an email through the link in my profile or leave questions in the blog comment boxes. - Margy

      Delete

We welcome your comments and questions. - Wayne and Margy