Saturday, January 12, 2019

Coastal BC Birds: Great Blue Heron

We have a seasonal visitor to our float cabin home on Powell Lake, a Great Blue Heron. Each fall he (or she maybe) returns to our protective log booms to fish. He stands motionless for a long time before leaping into action to catch a meal.

One morning I went out front and saw the Heron standing on the boom.

Look to the left of my floating garden for the Heron.

I watched for a long time and even walked out to the corner of the float to take pictures without disturbing him.

Changing position.

Great Blue Herons are a common sight at the marina in town and nest in nearby trees. The subspecies in our area is the Pacific Great Blue Heron (Ardea herodias fannini).

Flexing his wings.

The Pacific Great Blue Heron has Canadian Species at Risk Act (SARA) and Canadian Committee on the Status of Endangered Wildlife in Canada (COSEWIC) special concern status. They are protected under the British Columbia Wildlife Act and the Canadian Migratory Birds Convention. When the City of Powell River was building a new community track, construction stopped due to the discovery of nests. We now have a lovely track away from the nesting site.

Framed by my floating garden.

Pacific Great Blue Herons are found from Alaska to Washington State in coastal areas. They are a large bird standing over a metre in height. There are 4,000-5,000 adults in Canada.

Alert!
Herons are identified by their blue and grey feathers and black stripe from the eyes backward. In flight, Herons look prehistoric, matched by its piercing squawk.

Do you have Herons where you live? Are you as infatuated with them as I am? -- Margy

References: Nature Canada, Pacific Great Blue Heron (online), The Cornell Lab of Ornithology All About Birds, Great Blue Heron (online), and Bird Watcher's Digest, Great Blue Heron (online).

24 comments:

  1. What an awesome visitor to have. You got some excellent shots.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish I had a better camera, but the telephoto shots did turn out okay. - Margy

      Delete
  2. It is so encouraging to hear that your local area realised the importance of the Great Blue Heron. Even better that they then made provision to protect and enhance the place where the herons nest. Well done them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Too bad they didn't discover the nests before cutting down a lot of trees. - Margy

      Delete
  3. interesting to watch

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are. They can stand so still. - Margy

      Delete
  4. A well done, informative post. Congratulations. I am not sure that I was aware of this distinct Pacific subspecies so thanks for bringing it to my attention.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I only discovered it when searching for information. I couldn't figure out why my Heron didn't have the long feathers on the back of the head, then I discovered it was a subspecies without them. - Margy

      Delete
  5. My absolute favorite bird! Great photos!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. It's fun to have a few birds come around this time of year. - Margy

      Delete
  6. Wonderful shots of the herons. Have a wonderful weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Betty. I enjoyed your pictures, especially the cow resting in the field. - Margy

      Delete
  7. You have so beautiful floating garden. The heron is awesome and the photos are great.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. It's amazing how much I can grow in those raised beds. - Margy

      Delete
  8. We sure have herons, green and blue! Not this season, though!!!
    I really enjoy your part of the world.

    (ツ) from Cottage Country Ontario , ON, Canada!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. It is a nice part of the world. - Margy

      Delete
  9. Hello, the heron is a great visitor. Wonderful photos.
    Thank you for linking up and sharing your post. I've been away and now catching up with my comments and blog visits. I appreciate your comment and visit to my blog. Have a happy day and week ahead.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It would be nice if he came a little more often. - Margy

      Delete
  10. Beautiful photos! I've never seen a heron in person. Lucky you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are quite common here, especially down at the marina. - Margy

      Delete
  11. Beautiful photos! -Marci @ Stone Cottage Adventures

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was lucky he stuck around for quite a while fishing. - Margy

      Delete

We welcome your comments and questions. - Wayne and Margy