Wednesday, July 20, 2016

Coastal BC Plants: Butterfly Bush

Butterfly Bush

Butterfly Bush (Buddleja davidii) is not a native species to British Columbia. Much like Scotch Broom, it was an ornamental plant loved by gardeners because it attracts butterflies. Because of their numerous blossoms and tremendous numbers of seeds, plants have escaped into the wild and proliferated.


Blooms come in a variety of colours ranging from light (almost pink) to dark purple. You can find Butterfly Bush almost everywhere along the BC coast and inland. It is especially prevalent along dirt roads and logging cut blocks.


While butterflies do benefit from the nectar, Butterfly Bush does not serve as a food source for their offspring in the larval stage.

A bee taking advantage of nectar from  a large Butterfly Bush blossom.

This time of year Butterfly Bush is blooming just about everywhere. It is very evident that it is taking over territory from native species. But like the Scotch Broom, the colourful blooms in late spring and early summer are eye catching. -- Margy

11 comments:

  1. Buddleia davidii is one of many plants named after Pere David the French missionary and avid collector of Chinese flora and fauna. He was the first European to describe the giant panda.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the info. I like learning about the plants I see. - Margy

      Delete
  2. Fascinating post and lovely photos. Thank you so much for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. There is some concern about the plant in Virginia because it does not work well for some native butterflies.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I read a bit about that online as I was doing my research. Even though they are beautiful, invasive species can be problematic. - Margy

      Delete
  4. It's such a pretty bush, I wish I had one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They grow really large, and spread easily I understand. - Margy

      Delete
  5. I have a teeny one, a dwarf, methinks. Lil Orphan Annie trimmed it just before she was killed. It is trying to send out another few flowers, but we are so dry...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. After I saw one, I've seen them everywhere. Even wild in the bush they grow like mad. - Margy

      Delete
  6. Now this is a variety of shrub that we have in common. I had a beautiful one in the garden of our old house xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can see why they would be beautiful in a garden. I guess that's how they got introduced here in the beginning. - Margy

      Delete

We welcome your comments and questions. - Wayne and Margy