Sunday, October 26, 2014

Preserving: Harvesting and Preserving Quinoa

After growing quinoa in my cliff-side garden for six months, it was time to harvest the seeds. I planted in April and removed the seed heads in early September. They recommend not leaving the seeds on the plants once the fall rains begin. That can cause molding before they dry.

Unfortunately, only one plant survived due to small critter attacks. I don't begrudge the squirrels, mice, and woodrats a fresh summer salad, but I wish they'd remember to share.

I cut the stem below the seed cluster and put it in a basket to finish drying indoors on a windowsill. If you get a larger crop, you can cut the stems longer and dry them hanging upside down.

Once the seeds were thoroughly dry, I placed them on a plate. I used my fingers to rub the sees from the stems. I kept removing bits of stem and seed cover remnants until all that remained were the quinoa seeds themselves. 

I stored the results in a glass canning jar with a tight lid. There really isn't enough for a meal, but I'll cook what I have and mix it with some of my home grown kale for a side dish. I'll let you know how it turns out. -- Margy

4 comments:

  1. You will know next year to plant a bigger crop. Good to know about growing it here in BC.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hubby would shudder! He loathes quinoa! But he's allergic to yeast...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have never wondered what quinoa looks like in nature. Great post.

    Mersad
    Mersad Donko Photography

    ReplyDelete
  4. Quinoa is still on my list of things to try - but very cool that you grew it. It is hard to picture where our food comes from sometimes and now I know what it looks like!

    ReplyDelete

We welcome your comments and questions. - Wayne and Margy