Wednesday, October 08, 2014

Coastal BC Plants: Wild Mock Orange

Wild Mock Orange

Up on the cliff next to the stairs to the upper garden there is a beautiful plant that hosts lovely white flowers each spring. I discovered it is a wild Mock Orange (Philadelphus lewisii).

It's a deciduous shrub that's native to western North America and grows from northwestern California to southern British Columbia. You'll also find it in gardens as well. 

Mock Orange grows from 1.5 to 3 metres tall with pointed, egg-shaped leaves. In early May, small white flowers with yellow stamens brighten up the countryside. 

In late June, round red to brown fruits appear. Because they are an early food source, birds such as Cedar Waxwings take advantage of their availability. -- Margy

11 comments:

  1. I love learning about new plants! Thanks for your info. Your photos are great.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous5:59 PM

    Lovely! They remind me of rosehip. Do you know if Jam/jelly made of the fruit?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wa going to say Rosehips too. It is fun learning about new plants.

    ReplyDelete
  4. hate it when plants mock me.
    oh, different meaning...

    ROG, ABC Wednesday

    ReplyDelete
  5. I wonder if it's down here in Central Coast California, but we're inland. And, if it might be drought resistant. I'll keep my eyes open for it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. If it's the same mock orange that grows in my garden then it also has a wonderful aroma when it's in bloom.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nice pictures! I've never heard of mock orange, but I like the berry color.

    SamuraiFrog, ABCW

    ReplyDelete
  8. Interesting ! I have never seen or heard about Mock Orange plants !

    ReplyDelete
  9. This was especially interesting, since I, too, had never heard of Mock Orange plants. Just watched the video a day or two ago showing your cabin-boat. Ingenious! You and Wayne show courage and creativity as you forge ahead in a truly adventurous lifestyle.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I enjoy your part of the world vicariously!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. So funny Roger!

    Su-sieee! - I'm not sure, but I know it is drought tolerant based on the location on the cliff and the fact it gets little to no rain in the summer. Another good drought tolerant plant on my cliff is Oceanspray with pretty white drooping flower clusters. I believe it can be purchased at some nurseries and is native to the Pacific Northwest.

    Carol - The video was fun to have made for us.

    Margy

    ReplyDelete

We welcome your comments and questions. - Wayne and Margy