Monday, April 02, 2018

Coastal BC Animals: Baby Buster

Garter Snake

Baby Buster hanging out in my thyme pot.
I've written about one of my cabin regulars several times, Buster the Garter Snake. He (or a look-alike) makes an annual appearance in May and hangs around until fall. This year, he showed up on the transition float a few weeks ago. It's a little late, but things seem to be happening slow this spring. I know it isn't last year's Buster because it's smaller, hence the name "Baby Buster."

You can read more about garter snakes at my other posts:

Buster the Garter Snake
Buster's Finally Back
Buster's Back... 
Coastal BC Reptiles: Common Garter Snake
 
Having a garter snake living on the garden float is good for organic gardening. Mice like to nibble nice tender shoots. Buster helps us keep them out of the garden area. Garter snakes also like to eat frogs. That helps keep the non-native bullfrog invasion under some control.

Baby Buster sunning on the deck.

Baby Buster is only about 50 centimetres (20 inches) long. He can grow up to about 1.5 metres (3.5 ft) long. His distinctive coloring is yellow stripes on a dark brown body. Always alert, his bright red forked tongue flicks out to monitor the surroundings. If disturbed, he slides through the cracks of the float to the shelter of the logs underneath. From there he can watch and listen for a quieter time to resurface and get back to soaking up the warm rays of spring sunshine.


Or take off for an undulating swim in the lake below. Click on the video above to watch him go.

Do you have garter snakes where you live? -- Margy

7 comments:

  1. I love garter snakes, the only kind I think are ok to have living in your yard. When I was a kid we had one that lived in our yard and I used to pack it around all the time, poor snake lol. I need one right now, there is either a rat or mouse eating my brand new strawberries! I put dried bayleaf all over them as had some older stuff in the cupboard, also put pepper all over them, both apparently natural deterrents (bayleaf is poisonous if ingested by rats/mice but not so much to dogs)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had a mouse or vole in my garden over the winter. I'm afraid I wasn't as cautious, but then I don't have a pet to worry about. The bait traps I use keep the poison away from birds and squirrels so that's good. - Margy

      Delete
  2. Snakes like that are good to have around. We have garter snakes, as well as rattlesnakes, which aren't so pleasant.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When I lived in California rattlesnakes were a problem when out hiking. At least here on the BC coast we don't have any. - Margy

      Delete
  3. Hello, the garter snake is cute. Neat seeing the snake swimming, great video. Enjoy your day and the week ahead!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like to watch them swim from the deck but not so much when I'm swimming too. I know they are harmless to me but it is a bit disconcerting. - Margy

      Delete
    2. Thank you for linking up your post. Have a happy day!

      Delete

We welcome your comments and questions. - Wayne and Margy