Thursday, June 04, 2020

#ThrowbackThursday: Cabin Finishing Touches

A remote float cabin comes with lots of maintenance and improvement projects. After about a year of making changes to our guest room, bathroom and kitchen, I wanted to add some finishing touches inside.

My plan included new ceiling insulation, painting and pine paneling in the great room downstairs and the loft bedroom. These were jobs for our good friend John. To make it easier on all of us, we scheduled the work while we were away on a trip.  

The walls were stained near windows, doors and the woodstove. To brighten the room, we used white semi-gloss paint under the peak of the roof. John suggested replacing the cedar strips and I quickly agreed.

Before above, after below showing painting of the front wall.

John used rigid plastic panels to cover the ceiling insulation stained due to woodstove moisture. New panels fit between the rafters up to the peak of the roof. The new insulation gave us an attractive ceiling and helped the cabin retain more heat in winter.

Before above, after below showing the new panels for ceiling insulation.

We covered the side and front walls of the great room downstairs with pine paneling. John installed it horizontally on top of the old fiberboard. It was an easier installation, with the added bonus of increased wall insulation.

Pine paneling in the great room from the north to east to south wall.

In my kitchen, I spray water when I use the sink's hand pump to draw water up from the lake. We found a small piece of maroon Arborite (formica) for a backsplash.

Installation of the sink's new Arborite backsplash.

The loft bedroom got pine paneling for a headboard to our king-size bed, made from two twins. Getting a king mattress up the lake in the back of our boat and up the narrow stairs would have been too difficult.

Pine paneling for our king-size bed in the loft bedroom.

The finishing of finishing touch was a new sofa that did come up the lake by boat. It's the only seating in our living room, so it's an important comfort and decorative feature.

And a tribute to our beloved Stick Tail who lived to 23 years.

Thanks for visiting my #ThrowbackTursday posts about float cabin living. Next week I'll share a YouTube video about our float cabin home created by Kirsten Dirksen. -- Margy

13 comments:

  1. You have the most amazing spot! And treasures, including your John! What a great handy neighbour. I could use one!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Margy - love these tours - you have taken the time to make improvements and add little creature comforts that turn a cabin into a home!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for taking the tours. It is my favourite of all the homes over my lifetime. - Margy

      Delete
  3. I love the photos of your cabin! I envy you that beautiful place. Have a grand week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I never get tired of the view across the bay towards Goat Island. - Margy

      Delete
  4. I love the bedroom with that BIG bed and the pine paneling! What a great place to live. I just got your book in the Kindle edition! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are welcome. We hope you enjoy the book. I assume it's "Up the Lake." Let us know what you think. - Margy

      Delete
  5. Margy, I love pine so those changes are really nice! Have a great week. Sylvia D.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love it too. To me it just says, cabin. - Margy

      Delete
  6. P.S. Thanks for linking to Mosaic Monday twice this week!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi, Margy, I always enjoy reading about your floating cabin. I like your choice of light panels and that you placed them horizontally. I usually think of pine panels being dark and placed up and down. lol
    Margy, I haven't forgotten the wildflower seeds. I'll be sending them next week. Cheers! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In the beginning I wanted them vertical but the installation would have been too difficult. Now that they are in place I like it better this way. - Margy

      Delete

We welcome your comments and questions. - Wayne and Margy