Saturday, January 21, 2017

Preserving: Fresh Saver 1-2-3

Fresh Saver with zipper vacuum bags.
When leave our off the grid float cabin for an extended period, I hate to waste food. We leave our propane refrigerator running, but it doesn't keep foods fresh as long as an electric model.

One item that doesn't last well for me is cheese. After listening to my tales, our good friend Jeanne gave me a Food Saver Fresh Saver for Christmas. It's perfect for off the grid with limited electrical power.

My model is electric, but because it has a rechargeable battery inside it can also be used cordless. Even if it runs directly on electricity, the time and power draw is minimal.

Line up the nozzle with the circle on the bag and press the button.

The system works with reuseable Fresh Saver zippered plastic bags in various sizes. They are pricey, but because they are reusable the cost balances out.

Before leaving the cabin, I packaged leftover cheese in one of the Fresh Saver plastic bags, zipped it shut, and used the handheld vacuum to remove the air to seal in freshness. Getting the device lined up was difficult at first, but once I got it going, out came the air.

Continue vacuuming until the bag collapses around the food.

When I get back to the cabin, I'm rewarded with cheese ready to eat. The savings more than pays for the $25 initial cost of the device (if you have to buy one for yourself) and $12 package of bags. -- Margy

5 comments:

  1. What a neat little device. So glad it worked for you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. For the price it does a good job. Reusable bags are a huge plus. - Margy

      Delete
  2. I always wondered about those - very handy for you. I freeze excess cheese (it comes out a little more crumbly) but I realize that is not an option for you at the cabin.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do freeze if we are going to be gone for a long time, but like you said, it makes it crumble. Okay for cooking but not so good for eating on crackers. - Margy

      Delete
  3. I just learned by accident that my model is rechargeable, but it didn't come with a cradle. That's a good thing since I don't have space on my counter for it that way. - Margy

    ReplyDelete

We welcome your comments and questions. - Wayne and Margy