Saturday, September 20, 2014

Barn Swallow Fledglings

The skies around the cabin are quiet. There's nothing sadder than the "empty nest syndrome," even when the nest belongs to a family of Barn Swallows. The first batch of babies didn't make it, so in late July mom and dad Barn Swallow frantically made a new nest under our side porch right in view of our living room sofa.


In the June brood there were five babies, four fell to their deaths and the fifth mysteriously died in the nest. That's probably why the pair built a new nest. It's been fun watching the babies grow and mom and dad caring for them.




At the end of August, the three babies started flying. Each day they disappeared for longer periods, but returned to roost on the clothes line during the day and to the nest for the night. Mom even continued to feed them until the last day before their departure south for winter in South America.

Hopefully one or more will return next spring to raise a family of their own. -- Margy

7 comments:

  1. What fun to watch the video - they certainly do yell for food when mama comes up - and then stop immediately when she leaves.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great video and photos!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, your barn swallow are fantastic. W hen I was a child swallows lived at my grandparents barn. Love from Poland. Gosia

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hope they all make it on the long flight.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have young gold finches visiting my feeders till, one offed himself on our door, one I am afraid got eaten by the neighbors cat, but he rest still come, babies from this Springs parents I assume. I do love watching them.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks everyone for stopping by to comment on my swallow critters. I sure do miss the guys and all their antics. - Margy

    ReplyDelete

We welcome your comments and questions. - Wayne and Margy