Saturday, July 05, 2014

Coastal BC Birds: Cedar Waxwings

Cedar Waxwings

This week I've been hearing a high pitched whistle from the trees around the cabin. It wasn't a familiar sound. I thought it might be a bat, but the time of day was wrong.  Then one evening Wayne called me out to the float garden. A small flock of Cedar Waxwings weas foraging. When I used my Bird Songs Bible, I discovered they were the source of the sound. This book is a great resource for off-the-grid (and Internet) living.

Cedar Waxwings aren't common around our cabin. They are fruit eaters, so I wasn't too worried about my veggies.


They stayed quite a while for us to watch.

They were most interested in the egg shells I had in the garden. They may not work to deter slugs, but they seem to be something the Cedar Waxwings like in their diet, most likely for calcium and grit for digestion.

It's fun to watch the birds around the cabin. What kinds of birds are in your area? -- Margy

5 comments:

  1. Anonymous11:03 AM

    The beautiful cedar waxwings are arriving to eat the red berries on the honeysuckle shrub. Your photo of the one sitting on the post is gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the cedar waxwings - they are not common down here either. I've been hearing a new birdsong in the late afternoons - sounds like tweeEEEeeet tweeEEeeet - I'm hoping to see it or at least find out who is it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aren't you lucky to see them in your garden and capturing them. Great images! Good to know on the egg shells.

    ReplyDelete
  4. They are beautiful! I don't think I have ever seen one. I still have a group of six gold finches visiting my feeder but the other birds seem to be off enjoying nature.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks everyone for taking the time to comment. I haven't seen any Cedar Waxwings lately, but I can still hear them calling up in the trees. - Margy

    ReplyDelete

We welcome your comments and questions. - Wayne and Margy